In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loading for DPMS 308/260

tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering what anyone's experience is with loading for the DPMS LR-308 or LR-260. Do you have to use the small base dies, and what powders work best for accuracy and operation of the action.

Best

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have not but I might be loading for the .243 later this year. I have a receiver sitting here that I want to do a .243 out of.

I do not know much about the .260 so I am no help there.

As for the .308 I would try your FL dies first, if you have them. I am not sure how tight the chamber is that DPMS puts out. One of the reasons for the SB dies is to make it "more" reliable. I have heard many people have very good luck with FL dies and if you are not using this as a "defensive" rifle if you have a round along the way that does not chamber is it a big deal?

As for powder on the .308 I am sure they were built to run best on military loads. I would start there and adjust as needed.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tsr1965,

When I originally tested these rifles, I used the Federal Gold Medal Match exclusively simply because it's considered to be a standard. The load I used most was with the 175 gr. MK as the 168 gr. never thrilled me in the least. These loads run about 2600 FPS from the factory based on their test barrel. Your velocity will vary of course.

I did not use the FGMM for reloading since the brass is too soft to depend on. I used Winchester brass, Berger VLDs and one of three powders based on a slightly faster pressure curve:

IMR-3031

AA MXR-2495

V V N-135

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    tsr1965,

When I originally tested these rifles, I used the Federal Gold Medal Match exclusively simply because it's considered to be a standard. The load I used most was with the 175 gr. MK as the 168 gr. never thrilled me in the least. These loads run about 2600 FPS from the factory based on their test barrel. Your velocity will vary of course.

I did not use the FGMM for reloading since the brass is too soft to depend on. I used Winchester brass, Berger VLDs and one of three powders based on a slightly faster pressure curve:

IMR-3031

AA MXR-2495

V V N-135

Best.

Nononsense,

Did you have to use the small base dies, or did the rifle function OK with FL dies?

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tsr1965,

Sorry, I forgot that part...

The Federal GMM always needed the SB dies.

The Winchester worked fine with standard full length dies so long as they were made correctly. I'm not anywhere close to the notes I need to answer this absolutely but I think I was using a set of Forster Benchrest dies for this set of tests.

All of this is dependent on the way the chamber was cut, the type of steel being used, cryo'd or not and the specifications at the time the dies were being made. These days, I would cast the chamber, measure carefully and order the type of dies required for the chamber.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tsr1965,

Sorry, I forgot that part...

The Federal GMM always needed the SB dies.

The Winchester worked fine with standard full length dies so long as they were made correctly. I'm not anywhere close to the notes I need to answer this absolutely but I think I was using a set of Forster Benchrest dies for this set of tests.

All of this is dependent on the way the chamber was cut, the type of steel being used, cryo'd or not and the specifications at the time the dies were being made. These days, I would cast the chamber, measure carefully and order the type of dies required for the chamber.

Best.

I have all 3 types from RCBS...Neck, FL, and SB. If I need to get a set from Forster for Benchrest I will do that. Thanks for the heads up with the FGMM. How do the AMAX bullets do compared to the MK? I'm not going to be doing any match shooting, but do plan on taking a deer or two out to 500-600 yards, provided I get the accuracy performance I need. I really wanted a 260, and will get an upper when they become available.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tsr1965,

Try the dies you have first then buy others if needed. You don't have to waste money if the ones you have will do the job right. RCBS makes good dies most of time. The only thing I suggest is to check the concentricity of the body to the neck in the dies.

" How do the AMAX bullets do compared to the MK?"

That's a good question.

I prefer the AMAX bullets in most situations with the following disclaimer. The newer versions of the MK will give you a more round group at longer distances, consistently on paper. The AMAX are more accurate when 'X' counts don't matter. I also prefer the performance of the AMAX on tissue at the longer distances. My last 3 Coues deer have been harvested with 6mm 105 gr. AMAX bullets at ranges running a pinch longer than 500 yards. No running, not a lot of meat damage and good performance. Don't do like the magazines tell you and go for the shoulder. Take your time and make a good heart or neck shot and go collect your meat.

For the .308 Win. you can try the 178 gr. AMAX and see if you can get it to about 2600 FPS using IMR-4895. It should make a pretty good deer getter with a high probability of top accuracy.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nononsense,

First I want to thank you once again for your insight, mostly due to your experience in testing, and your willingness to share your results with others. It is appreciated on this end.

Last, one more question. In your testing the AR platform, what did you have for a trigger? Was it a two stage, a reworked standard AR trigger, or an aftermarket drop in? If the latter, what brand and model?

Best
  • Options
    GUTSSGUTSS Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first 500rnds I ran through my LR.308(24"BB)were 168grn Sierra BTHP's. I then switched to 175 Sierra Matchkings so I needed to work up a load, here is the results. I prepped all the brass the same way, no neck work was done(as noted below, this was the third time for this brass with the brass showing no signs of fatigue).
    Twice fired Federal GMM brass
    Full length sized on a Redding FL Small Base Die(Standard dies do not work with my chamber)
    Trimmed to 2.007"
    Primer pocket cleaned
    Flash hole deburred
    Case mouth deburred and chamfered
    Cases polished
    CCI#34 primers
    175grn Sierra BTHP's
    Loaded to mag length
    The powder was weighed using a dipper onto the pan of a RCBS 550 and trickled to finish. The bullets were pushed in with a Forster mic. seating die. The distance was 100yds and it was about 35F with no wind and full sun. I used a Ledsled DFT. I'm sure about three of the groups have one shot that I * the trigger on so one of the groups I measured the four shot group and the five shot group. I am using the stock DPMS trigger that was measured at 8.3lbs, pittiful. On any given day these groups could have been a little better or a little worse, but all in all I'd say the rifle likes a few different loads and shoots pretty well
    017-1.jpg
    024.jpg
    021.jpg
    018-1.jpg
    025.jpg
    026.jpg
    020.jpg
    022.jpg
    019.jpg
    I know I pulled the stray in this frame, I called it.[:(]
    023.jpg
    All of our rifles are different and of course always consult your reloading manual before starting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tsr1965,

Now you're really testing my memory.

If I am remembering right, the 3 of us shooting these tests got fed up with the factory trigger on one of the rifles and tore it out after about 50 shots. We replaced it with either a JARD or JP trigger set for about 3 lbs. which I think they refer to as the Competition model. Much better! You could probably make a less expensive trigger work as well but one of us had this on a bench.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tsr1965,

Now you're really testing my memory.

If I am remembering right, the 3 of us shooting these tests got fed up with the factory trigger on one of the rifles and tore it out after about 50 shots. We replaced it with either a JARD or JP trigger set for about 3 lbs. which I think they refer to as the Competition model. Much better! You could probably make a less expensive trigger work as well but one of us had this on a bench.

Best.

I think JARD makes one that is a single stage drop in that you can get in either 2 or 3 lbs. I have fired an AR-15 with the JP 2 stage that was nice also. I have currently changed the geometry of the factory trigger for a safe 3 lbs, but it still has too much sear engagement(@0.030" at the trigger), and I am not comfortable with getting rid of it. But I did like that JP. If I am not mistaken, there is someone who makes a set trigger for the AR platform.