In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 870 Express

fishrman927fishrman927 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
I've heard both good and bad things about Remington's Model 870 Express in comparison to the 870 Wingmaster. Is it worth paying twice the $$$$ for the Wingmaster?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I was told or read some where that the early 870 Express receivers which have serial numbers that end with a "M" were Magnums. Does anyone know this to be true? Thank you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am about to purchase a new Remington 870 Express. I havent had alot of experience with shotguns but was wondering if this gun had a interchangeable choke? Is that pretty much standard with all shotguns these days?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I purchased this shotgun back in the mid nineties. I believe it was 1996. Anyway in 1998 I think it was I recieved a notification of a class action suit against Remington for possible barrel damage from firing the shotgun. I fired both the bird and deer slug barrel prior to this notification. My serial number on the shotgun appeared on the
    the list of possible defective barrels. Now that my children are grown and I have time to hunt again I was wondering if you have any information about this class action suit and whether it is safe for me to use this shotgun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington model 870 express on the side it says 2 3/4 or 3 inch for magnum recivers only. How do i tell if i have a magnum or not?
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call Remington.
  • Options
    Gene PoolGene Pool Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishrman927
    I purchased this shotgun back in the mid nineties. I believe it was 1996. Anyway in 1998 I think it was I recieved a notification of a class action suit against Remington for possible barrel damage from firing the shotgun. I fired both the bird and deer slug barrel prior to this notification. My serial number on the shotgun appeared on the
    the list of possible defective barrels. Now that my children are grown and I have time to hunt again I was wondering if you have any information about this class action suit and whether it is safe for me to use this shotgun.

I am not sure why you are interested in the lawsuit, but if your serial number fits in with the guns that were recalled, like duckhunter said, call Remington and they will either assure you that it's safe to use, or thay will make an exchange. Remington stands behind their products.

By you saying you have fired deer slugs, I would guess that your barrel is safe. Slugs are high-brass rounds loaded to full power. In essence, you have proof tested your barrel.

If you are contemplating getting some sort of cash settlement, my recommendation is to forget it. Whatever would be available in a classaction suit would be pennies for you, and not worth your time to even explore it.

Those are my 2-cents worth,
    Gene Pool
  • Options
    kooterbillkooterbill Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had 3 Remington shotguns at the time of the class action suit. I was
    not notified by the company & can't remember how I found out about it.
    I got a piece of paper requiring info such as model,gauge,s/n & etc.
    Filled it out and sent it to them & they sent more paperwork for me to
    fill out including a release form that released them from any
    obligation if I was hurt by one of the guns. They did explain that if
    I had been shooting the guns with no problems at that point, the likly
    hood of me having any problems in the future was virtualy non existant. I filled it out & signed it & received a check about a
    month later for (I think) about $130.

We have gravity because the world sucks
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 870 Express shotguns that qualified for that class action crap. I still shot the heck out of both of them and have never experienced any problems. Call Remington if you are concerned...
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an 1187 that fell in to the range for that suit. I filled out the paperwork and got a check for $100, I never cashed it and kept shooting the gun and still shoot it with nary a problem.