In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ID of Sauer/Beretta O/U

orangecrush12orangecrush12 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a 20 guage O/U that is marked Sauer/Beretta and I am trying to find out exactly what it is. Most likely European due to what appears to be factory sling swivels on the barrel and stock that are approximately 3/4 inch wide. It is at least 20+ years old since I purchased it in late 80'S. 2 3/4 inch shells, engraved silver receiver, single trigger, and has a similar appearance to the 686 Beretta. Nice light gun and I love using it for grouse just would like to know what it is. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best way to identify countrie(s) of origin/use, is by the proof marks. Both Italy and Germany have very distinctive dateable proof marks. Post quality photos of the proofs, or give us a very explicit, detailed description of them.
  • Options
    orangecrush12orangecrush12 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I do not have a camera that will take pictures of the proof marks with any detail showing. It says Made in Itay, PB Finito, S.56E. XXVI, PSF. Not sure if this will help but thanks.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by orangecrush12
    Thanks, I do not have a camera that will take pictures of the proof marks with any detail showing. It says Made in Itay, PB Finito, S.56E. XXVI, PSF. Not sure if this will help but thanks.

The Proof Marks are Italian. "XXVI", is the proof date of 1970. My WAG is that Sauer had a merchandising agreement with Beretta at that time, i.e. they were representing Beretta in Germany, handling their sales etc.