In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M-1 Carbine

sammashsammash Member Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
I know this is scant info, but can anyone give me an idea of what an M-1 carbine made in Saginaw in about 80% condition would be worth assuming all the numbers match? Were any of the reproductions made in Saginaw? Again sketchy info, but would like to know before I go to pains to track this down.....

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I know I'll most likely get varied opinions on this one, but possibly a consensus. Which is what I'm looking for. I purchased a newly manufactured Isreal Arms International M-1 carbine recently. I'm not knocking IAI, however, some of the fit and finish in my humble opion needs work. If I wanted to have the gun blued to a highly polished royal blue, a new "select" walnut stock and hand gaurd added with a beautiful laquer finish put on with special attention to fit, and have someone go over the entire reciever,bolt,etc, with painstaking care to make this a "best" you can get for reliablity, beauty, and funtionality. Who would in your opinion be "THE" authority on M-1 carbine's w/ a shop or if the individual himself can do it would I send it to, money not not being an issue. And lastly someone who is easy to work with. Any input is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an old M-1 arbine made by Inland and I want to know what it is worth. SN. 523508. The barrel states Inland Mfg. Div. A date of 7-43 is on the barrel. The front barrel band has the letter A with a circle around it and a bayonet lug. The mag. release button has an M with a line under it. It has a pistol grip stock with a retracting metal buttstock. It has a large knurled screwhead on the left side and when loosened the round steel stock slides to the rear. I would appreciate any info and prices. I looked at other guns for sale and they seemed to have folding stocks instead of a sliding one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I ask this question on general discussion and I guess I should have ask it here. All the carbines I have seen have a 18 in. barrel. I was in a gun store the other day and saw one with a 16 in. barrel and it does not appear to have been cut. It has the W behind the front sight and normal wearing around the end of the barrel. Has anyone else ever seen or heard of this. Thanks. Sam.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The only markings on this rifle are the number 3 and a very faint stamp inside of a flattened pentagon IMR. There is no marking under the sight. The slide is run by 1 spring like a military rifle.

no year ,,,sn 471633 can any body figure age and make.
    This is a m-1 carbine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was at a gun show looking for a magazine for a carbine and found a carbine that had the serial number removed from the receiver but It had a serial number added to the top of recoil Plate. I could not see all the way under the rear sight but I could not see anything at all. It appeared to me the builders name and everything had been removed. Has anybody ever seen anything like that? Why would it be done.
    I have seen some of the WW11 receivers polished off and somebodies initials put where the serial number was.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have inquired about this rifle under an earlier topic while mistakenly giving the wrong ser#.i am a new member and would someone let me know if i am in violation of forum rules by using a new topic for the same gun.i have inherited what i believe is a M-1 carbine.it is small,lightwieght,has the winchester name under the rear sight,and the ser# 55587xx.can anyone out there tell me when it was made?

I'll just lock the earlier thread and you can continue on with this one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i am thinking about selling my grandfaters m-1 it is very good condition, and believe all the numbers match, was told it could be worth a few bucks but never was given a dollor amount.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just picked up a very clean Ingersol Rand Carbine Serial # 3820264. Any idea where I might check to see when it was made??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have just gotten an M-1 carbine made by Inland Div. G.M. date is 7-44. It is in perfect condition. It does not look as if it was ever issued. It has all the cartouches on it and the finish on both metal and wood is 99+++% It has the o.d. canvas sling and the oiler. Whats this thing worth. I am into single shot and muzzle loaders. I took this thing in trade. I saw some on Gunlist at from $1200 to $1900 . HELP !!

bob levine
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What are the posibilites of turning a .30 cal. carbine into a .38 super?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some altered barrels out there. They were turned on a lathe to remove the import & manufacturers markings, then stamped with a W. (A genuine Winchester barrel will also have a WP stamp.)

Neal
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Hope you didn't pay much for it.

Doug
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The were quite a few of these for sale on the auction and they are all demilled barrels, remachined. If they are still there, search for carbine barrel.

Emmett