In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

model 12 - how rare?

manwinchmanwinch Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
How rare is this gun? Model 12 Skeet grade, but not marked on bottom of reciever. 12 ga., winchester factory donut post rib with correct proof marks, ws-1 choke, cutts compensator (not poly choke just compensator)

gun seems to be all factory and in about 90% condition.
Serial number 1,431,xxx.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might have been a rare abd desirable collector grade gun, but unfortunately, somebody ruined it[:(]. I can positively tell you that the Cutts Compensator is not factory original (it was installed after the fact). The fact that the barrel is marked WS-1 tells us that the barrel was made with an internal choke.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    hi bert, your right as always. my mod.12 skeet has a cutts on it and is marked skeet on the bottom,but has ws-1 marked on the barrel and i bought it off of the original owner and he said he sent it back to have the cutts put on. eastbank.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your gun is very common.
    go look at the ones on auction.
    maybe a 5-600.00 gun.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    manwinchmanwinch Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reason for my question pertaining to this gun, is because in Maddis book about model 12, he states on page 50 and I quote, "some rare cutts compensators are not threaded for choke tubes,but are intended to only reduce recoil"

The Cutts on this gun serves no other purpose other than recoil reduction. It is not threaded and will not accept any threaded choke.

"onlywinchesters" where are you?
  • Options
    schintzieschintzie Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:"some rare cutts compensators are not threaded for choke tubes,but are intended to only reduce recoil" quote:

Yes, but the increased value would only apply to factory installed Cutts.

quote:"onlywinchesters" where are you? quote:

Unfortunatly, OnlyWinchesters seems to have been MIA since last October. Has anybody heard from him?