In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

German Rail Guns

OLDCOPOLDCOP Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
I see that MIKEWHISKEY posts a photo of the Leopold. Is that him in the photo and what ever happened to those big guns?

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once we gained full control of the air, the germans had no where to hide them. Scrap iron. They never worked well in a fast moving
    war zone and some took months to put in place.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    These guns took a tremendous number of support personal and were very expensive to build and move .Not a good use of either material or manpower. Were scraped after the war.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That gun is at Aberdeen Proving Grounds.
    The museum and tank displays are worth the trip.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Leupold, AKA "Anzio Annie" was used, well, at Anzio. My father told me childhood stories of him at the receiving end.

The gun was very accurate. My dad saw 'ol Annie walk the rounds up the breakwater. Fire direction was via spotters in the hills above the beachhead.

My dad said you never heard 'ol Annie go off (+30mi. away)..but it had a second charge that would go off in flight, to extend the range, and everyone heard the loud "crack" of the airborne blast. Then you hit the deck. Enough for now, or I'll start rambling. Best, Joe

(Edit to add:)
    I just read the post below on US rail guns. All major US ports were implaced with US Army coast artillery fortifications. In NYC, Fort Tilden had two battleship cannons set in concrete bunkers, facing south to cover the entrance to NY harbor. Many more emplacements still standing elsewhere (minus the guns, of course). Joe
  • Options
    GHSGHS Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to see "Anzio Annie" at APG in Aberdeen MD plan your trip soon. The Base Realignment Plan is moving the museum away shortly (I don't have the departure date). You can view the museum at www.ordmusfound.org Lots of great pics, the first is a prototype coastal defence gun that was found on post by a brush clearing crew. They simply forgot it was there over time. It's as big as Anzio Annie. It's a big base with LOTS that's not open to the public.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    "That gun is at Aberdeen Proving Grounds.
    The museum and tank displays are worth the trip.".........sorry to hear they are moving, great in and out door museum.
    "It's a big base with LOTS that's not open to the public.".....there was lots of places that were 'off limits' when I was stationed there (late '60's).
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    German rail guns were famous in both WWI and WWII and the Anzio gun was perhaps the most famous. But we also had them, as did the French and Brits. As a matter of fact, my group (the Fort Miles Historical Association) in DE has been working to put one of our 8" RR guns on her flatcar and track. Should have it done this summer. We just finished moving a 12" gun into Battery 519 that came off the BB Wyoming, the oldest BB in WWII. We are turning one of the bunkers in Fort Miles (Battery 519) into the best WW II museum in the country actually in a WWII facility, and you might want to visit our website (www.fortmilesha.org) to find out more about the US railgun effort in WWII (we had eight 8" RR guns at Fort Miles during the War). We also have just finished restoring one of our four Panama Mounts.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great Museum I went to AIT the last few months of 65 and I enjoyed visiting all the war stuff.[:D]
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    very interesting, my dad was in the artillery during ww2 (H&H Co. 278th field art. bat.)240mm guns so I guess 'the big stuff' runs in the family[:D].
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spent the 4 years before I went to Iraq at APG. That gun is still there and it is doubtful it will be moving with the BRAC.

The Ordnance museum will be moving but they cant move a few of the larger pieces outside.

Dr AWar on Terrorer has had a few shows done on him by the History channel. Very knowlegeable dude.

The base IS open to the public. You have to check in with the MPs at the gate, show proof of insurance, drivers license, and registration. They will give you a day pass to go to see it.

Well worth the stop if you are driving down I95