In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mystery shotgun

sugaraesugarae Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
pics2010153.th.jpg

pics2010151.th.jpg

pics2010152.th.jpg

I picked this shotgun up a couple of years ago in South West Asia. I was curious if anyone might be able to tell me ANYTHING about it. Such as who made it, value, is it actually from England, is it actually an antique, so on and so forth. The left barrel fires 60% of the time every time, and the right barrel fires every time. It is not threaded for chokes nor did it come with any. The barrels are 18" in length. Anything anyone might be able to tell me about it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hi guys,
    I found an old, rusty shotgun receiver and barrel that I am going to restore, but I can't find any model numbers. If you guys could help me out, that would be great.

Nothing on the receiver except a few things. On the back where the stock screw would go, "M.N.S" is stamped there. On the other side, there is a "3" on top of a triangle. The serial number is "47928" with an "A" (or a strange triangle) stamped above it.

The barrel has all kinds of stuff on it. "NICKEL STEEL" "Manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co. New Haven, Connecticut. U.S.A. Pat Aug 27. 1901. Feb. 25. Nov 4. 1902. Feb. 17. Dec. 29. 1903. April 26. Aug. 30. 1904. March 27. Nov. 13. 1906. Nov. 23. 1909. Jan. 4.11. 1910. July 18. 1911. May 7. June 4. 1912." "12 GA"

Down near the beginning of the barrel, "FULL" is stamped there. "300" is stamped on the bottom of the barrel. "MNS" is also seen near the 300 stamp.

I will put up pictures soon. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good Evenig all,
    I picked up a shotgun today and I don't know who made it or when. It appears to be a Browning A5, but it has no makers name on it. On the left side of the reciever it says " Ranger " with a small cowboy on a horse. 26 inch barrel with proof tested 12 gauge, Mod, and a small circle with a Cp or Gp in it. All the screws have a lock screw like a Mauser action bolt. Serial # is 26452. It appears to be very old with the bluing turned to a plum brown.
    Thanks in advance
    John
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Can You Post a Photo of this Gun....? A Photo of the Cowboy on a Horse..
    is a Must have! ..............
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    probable a savage m-720 made for wards (?). check the front trigger guard screw/pin (remove the lock screw) if it is a remington or browning it will be a screw, if a savage it will be a headed pin (no threads on the small end) with a screw driver slot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good Morning,
    Thank you for your responce. Capt., I'll try to get a picture of the cowboy tonight and E-Mail it to you. I don't know if it will photo well as it is very small and very faint. Mike, I'll check that guard scres when I get home tonight.
    Thanks Again
    John
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    "Proof Tested" pretty much seals it as Savage. Ranger says Sears or Wards. (I forget which is which.)

My first double was a 20 ga. Ranger. The gun was made by Hunter Arms in Fulton. A VERY nice little boxlock!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good Evening All,
    Mystery solved. I went on line and checked out the Savage 720 and I'm sure Savage made this shotgun for one of the large retail stores. Thank all for your help.
    John