In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

muzzleloader rust

wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hey all,

I took a break from studying and decided to give all my guns a quick wipe down and run a lightly oiled patch down the barrles, well got to my CVA and the inside of the barrel was nothing but rust, ive got it all cleaned up ( no pitting, just was surface) ive always just used TC presoaked butter bore paches when cleaning my muzzleloader, should i also run a patch through with hopes No9 and then do the bore butter instead of a regular oiled patch? any tips? i usually go a full year inbetween shooting this. ( or would just multiple cleaning times a year just be best)

Comments

• Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hot water and soap.Dry and reoil.
    EvilDr235
  • Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ran into the EXACT same thing with bore butter. despite what they say, "preserving" with it leads to rust, at least here in humid Ohio. I use it as a patch and bullet lube now, but not as a preservative. Clean with black powder cleaner or soap and water, rinse bore with hot water. Dry bore with several patches. Run an oily patch down the bore. OIL. I actually have several of those "mop" type jags, I soak them with oil and scrub the bore with it. Next time I shoot, I run sveral patches soaked in denatured alcohol to rid the bore of oil. No problems in the last 15 years doing it this way.
  • Options
    hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    man i always loved shooting the muzzle loader but still to this day its the only gun i ever hated cleaning. wish i still had one though because the thrill of shooting it always over came the hate for cleaning it.
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dandak1
    Ran into the EXACT same thing with bore butter. despite what they say, "preserving" with it leads to rust, at least here in humid Ohio. I use it as a patch and bullet lube now, but not as a preservative. Clean with black powder cleaner or soap and water, rinse bore with hot water. Dry bore with several patches. Run an oily patch down the bore. OIL. I actually have several of those "mop" type jags, I soak them with oil and scrub the bore with it. Next time I shoot, I run sveral patches soaked in denatured alcohol to rid the bore of oil. No problems in the last 15 years doing it this way.

It must be the humidity as I have used Bore Butter as a "preservative" for six years. I have had no rust inside or outside and they sit for several months with no handling. Maybe you need to wipe down and run a patch more often..just a thought..Bull
  • Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it is more humid here. I have been to Greely Colo. several times and believe me the humidity is WAY less where you live. I gave bore butter a very honest try...just kept leading to rusting, even after only 1 week. If i have to run a patch down more often than that then I will look for another method! As it is, with oil, i have had no problems and a few times in the past 15 years or so it has gone maybe 9 months to a year between firing, and wiping it down showed no rust. I just oil it now and forget about it. I dont know where wvhunt lives but I am asuming West Virginia, which is probably as humid as Ohio.
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dandak1
    Yes it is more humid here. I have been to Greely Colo. several times and believe me the humidity is WAY less where you live. I gave bore butter a very honest try...just kept leading to rusting, even after only 1 week. If i have to run a patch down more often than that then I will look for another method! As it is, with oil, i have had no problems and a few times in the past 15 years or so it has gone maybe 9 months to a year between firing, and wiping it down showed no rust. I just oil it now and forget about it. I dont know where wvhunt lives but I am asuming West Virginia, which is probably as humid as Ohio.

Well next time you get this way look me up and we will have a cup[:)]....Bull
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I don't buy the bore butter 'preservative' claim.

Black powder or pyrodex, when burnt, creates salt compounds.

Those salt compounds sit in your barrel unless dissolved by water or water soluble cleaner.

The bore butter is acting as an oil. It's keeping the moisture in the air away from your bore. It is not however cleaning it.

I would clean it and oil it and write bore butter up as hype. If it doesn't rust for you, it is probably due more to climate than anything.
  • Options
    spinnerbaitor48spinnerbaitor48 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i only use EEZOX on all of my guns....will clean blackpowder residue, even copper..with just a bore snake....leaves a dry film for storage and/or shooting....best stuff i have ever found...i have only found it online, and a quart lasts for about 2 years...thats cleaning 20 or so guns after each usage.....our boys in the gulf love it because it does leave a dry surface....no sand to stick as with oil based cleaners.....just my thoughts
  • Options
    cripchascripchas Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I USE HOT HOT SOAPY WATERR.. SOAP WITH [ no forrurus ] DAWN DISH SOAP IS FINE DRY IT REAL GOOD OIL IT REAL GOOD PUT IT AWAY GOOD TEL THE NEXT TIME.. PS I DN'T LIKE BOAR BUTTER ....
  • Options
    wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got the bore all cleaned up last night, i ran a lightly oiled patch through as well as a Bore butter patch. I guess ill just check it more often, ive owned the muzzleloader for about 5 years now and this is the first time i have ran into this issue.