In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 Auto

nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
My son is looking for a quality small bore semi-auto pistol. Preferably not a round barrel and not under 5". Probably a .22 caliber.

So far he's looked at Browning, SIG, Beretta, and Ruger. Since I'm not a pistol person I really don't know just where to send him.

Price is one of those things that we consider, but we we don't consider it ahead of quality. Much better to spend an extra hundred now than wish we had later.

Suggestions gladly accepted.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, at least all those he is looking at are quality guns. Is he just looking for a plinker, as opposed to a target gun? And, is he big enough to handle a heavy gun? Must admit, I'm perplexed about his aversion to a round barrel.

I like the variety & options that Ruger offers, plus they are built like a tank. If he wants a light gun with an easy slide, I'd look at a used S&W like the 622, 422, etc.

But, the bottom line is, it boils down to personal choice.

Neal
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Nord I would suggest a Browning Buckmark or older not current made High Standard. .Both of these will serve him well and easy to clean and SWAP barrels to what ever you want. The Ruger is a good pistol but can be a PITA to take down to clean. and you have to buy a complete top end if you want a different type/length barrel. The grip angle of the Ruger.is different then most larger caliber pistols so it will IMHO be harder to transfer skills learned on the 22 pistol if and when he wants a larger center-fire pistol.
  • Options
    GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How old, large is your son? I know Ruger made/makes their Mark III with a seven inch slab side barrel. Friend of mine has one and likes it, hope this helps.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for Buckmark, with a variety of "models" or configuration, he can certainly find one without a round barrel 5" or longer. I have two and like them a lot.

My vote for an older .22 semi auto would be the Colt Woodsman (mine are all Huntsman), but those have round barrels.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Nord; agreeing with the others on the Buckmark. Mine has over 20,000 rounds through it with no problems. It is extremely accurate with top grade ammo. I would not hesitate to shoot it in a NRA bullseye pistol match.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Many thanks for your replies... I guess at 38 he isn't a baby anymore.[;)]
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Nord,
    All of the ones mentioned are good options. I like the Ruger Mark II. Yes it can be a PITA to disassemble, but how often is that really necessary? I had a Ruger Standard pistol for years. I took it in for a complete cleaning a couple of years ago. When I went to pick it up the gunsmith told me he could solve a Rubic's cube quicker than assembling the pistol.[:)]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi nord,

I will mimmic the others with the Browning Buck Mark. I have had nothing but good luck with them. If you are able to find an older standard onw with the 6 inch slab sidded barrel, or if you look on the auction side, you can even find an NRA Endowment one that comes with two barrels....in stainless and its fancy too! Imagine that fancy and good shooter.

I will take the Time to endorse a S&W 41 if he can find one in his budget range, and the Rugers are not that much of a problem if you take them down and re-assemble about 20 times, you will get the hang of it. The high standards, even the entry level Dura-Matic M-101, are good shooters.

If you tale a look at the auction side, and do a search under pistols for "22 auto", you will be amazed.

Best
  • Options
    Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
    edited November -1
    If he wants one new I would get a 1911 with a .22 conversion. But that can get a bit pricy. For used, my favorite .22 pistoles ever were made by Hi Standard. When they were made in america. They are no longer makeing them, but they were made very well. I wouldn't get the military one though. Here is a pic of mine.

[img][/img]023-1.jpg
  • Options
    xstuntmanxstuntman Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love the Beretta Neos. Add red dot and have a ball[;)] X
  • Options
    MemphisJim1MemphisJim1 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would disagree with those who say the Ruger Mark-Series pistols are a PITA to disassemble. It's reassembly that's the bit*h.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Nord...forty + years ago I was going through the same decision process...what .22 to get. Learning early that, as you mention, quality always is the best, I settled on a Browning Medalist (pricey even then at $400 + a Beretta .25 on trade) but after thousands of rounds, it still is the tackdriver. And it is IMHO, the best looking .22 ever made. From time to time they come up on the auction side at @ 1k with case, barrel weights, tool, and original inst guide. I would also agree with the suggestions for High Standard (the older ones, not the "new" junk) in just about any configuration. I also shoot three older Smith 41's and they are super. Can also recommend the little stainless Colt .22 that came out several years ago but made no more. Have four of them with different barrel lengths and they are inexpensive and great to shoot. Don't know much about the newer .22's but I defer to the other experts on their experience. I just know that if I had it to do all over again, I would seek out a Medalist, shoot it for twenty years and know that if I wanted to sell it, I could always get my $ out of it, and have shot it for free! Check it out. Good shooting!
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Buckmark and a Walther P22. Either will make a good target pistol.