In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

"Home Gun" Rifle

OLDCOPOLDCOP Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I had a neighbor recently ask me what kind of rifle he should get to defend his home if the SHTF. He has a 12 guage and a revolver and finds a "black gun" both too complicated and too expensive. He was a hunter and can operate the usual hunting weapons. I decided that before I gave him my answer, I'd ask you folks. Cost IS an issue. Thanks!

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep a model 94 trapper in .45 Colt around. Sort of a politically correct assualt rifle. (Sorry Danceswithsheepies, I said the A word.)
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SKS - practice ammo is cheap and available, reliable, accurate, quickly reloads with stripper clips, same power as a 30-30, soft point ammo is available for hunting/self defence, even with the recent surge in prices, it is still reasonable.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fairly inexpensive are: SKS with hollow or softpoints, Marlin 1894 or Winchester 94 in pistol calibers, Marlin 9 or 45 (if you can find one).

If he has a shotgun, will it take a short replacement barrel and an extended magazine?
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lever action in the same caliber as his revolver would be reasonable option. The extra cost of a lever gun as compared to a cheap bolt gun will be offset somewhat by stocking a common ammo. Unless he has a hallway over 100 yards long, he would not need anything more than a 357 mag.

New Henrys' are around $ 700.00, Marlins around $ 500.00 - $ 600.00. He would not be disappointed in either of these.

A Rossi can be had for quite a bit less, but I have no personal experience with them, and cannot comment one way or the other.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the levergun but IMO since he already owns a shotgun and he is counting pennies why not just stick with that and buy a bunch of ammo for it. If it's a Mossberg or Remington they both can be converted to look Tacticool[8D]
  • GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO, go with the same model shotgun he has, just get the designated home defense version. That way you get familiarity with the action, a little higher mag capacity, and a little more maneuverable gun (i.e. shorter barrel with cylinder choke) for getting around in the house.

Other wise I agree with the others get a lever gun, fairly inexpensive, easy to use, and if he wants he can get the same caliber as his revolver or a more powerful rifle round. This is the fun part of spending other peoples money, the possibilities are endless, even on a budget.

Edit: My apologies I thought he was looking for an inside the house gun. In that case I would go with a lever action in 30-30, saw a Marlin 336 for $350 at Wal-Mart and the ammo is fairly cheap $13-$15 for practice stuff and around $20-$30 for the good stuff. Leverevolution ammo has mine fairly accurate out to 125 yards. Hope that helps.
  • OLDCOPOLDCOP Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He says his scattergun is a Mossberg 500, 20" and ext.mag. He's thinking of a rifle for out to about 100 yards. He has the house inside "covered."
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My thought is, an M1 carbine from CMP. Similar power to a .357 mag, readily available 15 round mags, simple to operate, & reliable. Should be around $600.

Neal
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 7615. Pump action that he's familiar with and the ability to reload quickly. Takes all AR mags. 223 caliber[}:)]
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd second third or whatever the call for the SKS. Back when they were $69 I suggested to all my nongun owning friends that they buy one and keep it in their earthquake kit just in case the SHTF. Several did and have thanked me over the years for it. The SKS is peasent simple and has a chrome lined bore, meaning that even if you don't clean it for several years it will probably be fine. The ammo is cheap when compared to 45LC or M1 carbine. Even here in Calif they haven't been able to classify it as one of those bad rifles....