In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ID Odd 30-06 Cartridge

rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
3006_Head.png
3006_Ball.png

I had a box hundreds odd cartridges. Got the old Civil War ones ID now. Here is a .30-06 that looks wild. Head stamp different from usual and bullet like nothing military or hunting. I carefully checked the case and find no evidence of it having been in battery - no ejector marks, etc.

Info, thoughts, comments appreciated.

edit I think Jonk is probably right. The circular impression is a little off center.

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pre WW-2 comericial headstamp. Perhaps a gallary or "trapper" (used to dispatch animals in traps without distroying the hide) loading.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullet appears to be a crudely formed in a "home made" swaging die.

I'm not familiar with the brass/headstamp but it appears to be quite old. That "30 Government 1906", has to around the First World War era when their were still a lot of 30 Government Krags, being used for hunting.
  • cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it is a western ammunition head stamp 30 govt/ 1906 perhaps before winchester bought them out. when winchester bought the western cartrage co. they continued to use the western stamp for a few years, then they went to winchester/western, then w-w super and now it's just winchester.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cer
    it is a western ammunition head stamp 30 govt/ 1906 perhaps before winchester bought them out. when winchester bought the western cartrage co. they continued to use the western stamp for a few years, then they went to winchester/western, then w-w super and now it's just winchester.

Winchester did not buy the Western Cartridge Company... in fact, it was the other way around. In late 1930 the Winchester Repeating Arms Company filed for bankruptcy. Frank Olin (the owner of the Western Cartridge Company) bought Wincehster out of receivership in January of 1931. Winchester became a division of the Western Cartridge Company, later called Olin Industries. To this day, the Winchester brand is owned by Olin Industries.
  • cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stand corrected, thanks
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Looks to me like a standard round nose soft point that someone got jammed in a chamber, then tapped out with a steel cleaning rod with jag removed.

30 cal government 1906 is just another description for 30-06 and is probably the more correct terminology.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    this could also be a 'gallery' load for indoor shooting (a 00 buck pellet and just a grain or 2 of powder)