In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Browning Grade III 22 serial number?

valhalla ssvalhalla ss Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to ascertain the date of manufacture for a Belgian Grade III takedown 22. The serial number is T173XX the Blue book only gives a date range as 1956-1961, any way to narrow it down? Also, what should the front sight on this rifle look like? I have a 1969 Grade III 22 and it has a gold dot on the front sight, this earlier one doesn't, it is a wheel sight version and the front sight is just a rounded over upright type, how do I know if this front sight is correct?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The serialization of Browning firearms made during the 60's & 70's is a confusing mess. Sometimes the DOM and firearm type is a prefix to the actual serial number, others it is a suffix.

This was the same time frame when they were involved in the "Salt Wood" fiasco.

Go to www.proofhouse.com you might be able to figure it out?
  • legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Valhalla, 1957 range was 12001 to 28000 T for LR & A for short. This per Matt Eastmans book.