In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Richardsons Micro-fit stocks

swampthing36swampthing36 Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Anybody out there have any experience with Richardson's Microfit Stocks? good, bad, otherwise? Please advise.

Comments

• asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll never again waste my money with them.
    Most often there isn't enough wood where it should be, or to much where it isn't needed. The third, and last, one I received the stock body and forearm were machined crooked. Almost Just as though they had put too much pressure on the blank when they set it up in the duplicator.

Do yourself a favor and contact Donnie Gemes at Show-Me Gunstocks. 660-438-4568
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used a dozen or so of the Richards stocks over the years and never had any problems. But, then again I cheat as I live local and can walk in any inspect any stock I want to buy before putting any money down. Also I believe that the folks running the place have changed due to illness and I believe a death so the quality contol may have slipped. I stopped buying there exclusively when I stopped getting a cash discount due to the management change......
  • swampthing36swampthing36 Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy
    I'll never again waste my money with them.
    Most often there isn't enough wood where it should be, or to much where it isn't needed. The third, and last, one I received the stock body and forearm were machined crooked. Almost Just as though they had put too much pressure on the blank when they set it up in the duplicator.

Do yourself a favor and contact Donnie Gemes at Show-Me Gunstocks. 660-438-4568
    Thanks for the feedback. I am phoning Donnie soon.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boyd's stocks are reliable too.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over the years I have purchased 6 stocks from Richard's. All were represented as advertized. Very little additional inletting needed. Yes, there is considerable sanding to do but I wasn't expecting a drop-in stock.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    90% of those MICRO FIT inletted stocks were done with a dull chainsaw, if you have tons of time on your hands have right at one of them... I've never seen such a poor excuse for a semi inletted gun stock, a 10 year old could do a better job of it.........
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have been generally happy with my Richards stocks with one exception. I had one of their laminates where it wasn't properly aligned when cut, and the plys in the laminate aren't straight down teh stock. It works fine, but looks funny.

The last two of their "factory seconds" in economy grade have awesome figure in the wood, better than anything I have got from Boyds, and $49 to boot.

Yes they take some work to finish, and are over dimension in most areas. It takes me 2-3 hours to get one where I want it with a 5" random orbit sander.