In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How to buy a gun for a friend

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Can i do this? I saw a shotgun on the auction side that i told a friend about. His computer is down and he wants me to bid on it for him. If I win the bid and get the shotgun sent to my gun store, he can take the back ground check and pick up the gun, correct ?
He will gine me the $$ to send.
Is there any thing here i am not thinking about? It has been a long day.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd get the owner of the gun store to agree to handle the transaction before I submitted my bid.

Neal
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If you get the money up front and send to the seller then all is good on that end Now you go to your dealer and your friend fills out background check info . he pays for check and transfer fees and all is well on your end. = everyone happy. [:)]
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    You can bid and buy anything you want for your friend.

Now who picks it up is a different story. If HE pays for it HE needs to do the 4473 and pick it up since he is the "actual buyer" (#1 question on the 4473.

Who bids and wins a gun has NO legal bearing on whos gun it is or who can legally own it.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cahas
    Can i do this? I saw a shotgun on the auction side that i told a friend about. His computer is down and he wants me to bid on it for him. If I win the bid and get the shotgun sent to my gun store, he can take the back ground check and pick up the gun, correct ?
    He will gine me the $$ to send.
    Is there any thing here i am not thinking about? It has been a long day.

Nah. . .sounds about right to me.

So long as he is the one paying, picking up the gun, and filling out the 4473, there should be no problem.

All you're doing is acting as his representative bidder. So long as the bids are real, and you follow up by actually paying if you win, I don't see how any rules are being broken or why anyone would care.

I don't see why the FFL would care either, so long as he gets paid to do the transfer. Its really none of his business whose GB account is being used, any more than its any of his business whose car you ride in on the way to the gunstore to pick up the gun.

I'd just make sure the seller sends to the gun to the FFL care of your friend (rather than you) so that there are no problems/issues when your friend goes to pick it up.
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Just have him sign in on your computer and bid with his handle.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he can legally own a gun there is no problem. If you own a gun store you are acting as a transfer FFL.

Just hope it fits him. I don't buy shotguns without hands-on.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If you pick it up you can always sell it to your freind. It's a gray area. There is a spot on the 4473 that says 'are you the actual buyer of the firearm?' Well yes... but you can dispose of firearms any way you want too.

Still I'd have him pick it up.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Straw Purchase !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by abcguns2
    Straw Purchase !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonk's statement is 100% Straw.

Just because you bid on something here does not make you the actual buyer. Bidding and winning here really has no bering on who the "actual buyer" is. I could bid and win a 1000 guns on this auction for other people and as long as THEY pay for it and THEY pick it up there is nothing wrong.