In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Metallography Class help

iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm currently taking a Metallography class where we cut up samples of various metals and analyze their micro structures. So far I have A6 Tool steel (Tempered Martensite found in a Heat Treated high carbon steel) , "Vega" Tool steel, SAE 1010, SAE 1040, SAE 4140 and a sample showing a "nitrided, Case hardening" on a gun barrel. I am looking for a small sample of Damascus Barrel steel and a small sample of "browned" barrel steel. If anyone has a cutoff, bulged, split, etc, barrel of either or both steels (I only need about 1/2" x 1/2" inch of sample each) would you please contact me via me email?

I'll post the resulting images when I produce them.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: As far as I understand, "Browning" was a anti rust process that predates "rust bluing".

"Color" Case hardening was common on the receiver of firearms (1885 Win Highwall and Stevens Walnut Hill for example) The barrels were "browned" using a chemical process that used burlap and Nitric Acid (and some other components that I can't remember at the moment).

Ice

Comments

• JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you tell me what browned barreled steel is? I likely have some barrel parts you can have but I don't know if it will suit you. I have some cut up shot gun, rifle and pistol barrels, would only cost you freight. I do not think I have any damascus, but I'll check.
  • JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahh OK, I think I read that Winchester did that some many moons ago. The stuff I have is or was blued at one point in time, if it helps ya you are welcome to it.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the offer. I'm still looking for an old piece of barrel. There used to be bits and bobs all over my dad's shop. He tossed them (or used them up like the Scot he is) years ago.