In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Which model of 22 S&W is this? 5 screw k frame

jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have an old S&W 22 revolver. It has a 4" barrel, pinned front sight, and the gun is pinned and recessed. Bottom of the grip shows a K then some space, then the serial number is 175xxx. I would guess it is 90-95% finnish. Original grips, and has the micro adjustable type rear sight (i think-there are six detents around the screws on elevation and windage) Anyone have an idea of what model this actually is? I've had people tell me it is a pre 17, 18, or 34, and some have said it is a kit gun. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    175XXX would date to the 1952/53 time frame. It could be either a K 22 Masterpiece, or more likely a K 22 Combat Masterpiece. The front sight would be the identifier. If it's a ramp rather then a patridge it's the Combat Masterpiece, also known as the Pre Model 18. Much less common then the standard K 22 Masterpiece.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the gun has a "K" ahead of the serial number then it is not a model 34. The model 34 was built on the smaller "J" frame.
  • jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rufe-snow, thanks for your response! It is the ramp! Now to figure out what this is worth, and whether i want to take it home and shoot it or sell it........l.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    K series, 4 inch barrel, .22 caliber

That makes it a Combat Masterpiece. Assigned model no 18 in 1957.