In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

gas check stuck in case neck

1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have an interesting problem:
I was given two boxes of reloaded 30-40 Krag cartridges with cast bullets, and I am leery about whoever loaded them. The fellow I got them from casually said "bring a brass rod with you because some of these are really light loads and the bullet might not leave the barrel". So I would like to pull the bullets and at least re-use the primered case.

With that in mind, I first tried an inertia bullet puller (hammer style) with no results - the bullet would not move.

When I used a bullet puller in my reloading press, it pulled the bullet - but NOT the gas check. It is still stuck in the case neck.

Any ideas?? I really don't think I want to be drilling through it with a load of powder underneath, and I don't want to ruin the brass.

If nothing else, I will probably just shoot them in my Ruger #3 and watch for stuck bullets. At least that rifle should be able to take any over-charged cartridge better than my Springfield Krag.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comments

• countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I guess you could pull the bullet and then fire the cartridge. If the gas check didn't make it out the barrel you could punch it out with a dowel rod of some type.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Plus one on the above. I usually shoot the check out. Your other option would be to punch it in, open the neck up with a larger sizer (like 8mm) and dump it out, then resize the case.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Push the gas check back into the case and dump the powder. Now hold the case neck down and reach up inside the neck with a pair of forceps(every body keeps a couple of pair for emergencies-right?) and pull the gascheck out. With old lead bullet loads you have not idea what condition the powder might be in and I wouldn't shoot one for all the cases you could carry.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot the gas check out.
    An inertia puller has to work. You have to hit the hammer harder on a hard surface.