In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Weapon Accuracy Verses Shooters Ability

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Am I correct this forum uses the term accuracy to describe a shooters ability to shoot close groups. These are 2 different terms and the accuracy of any weapon has nothing to do with the ability of the shooter.Obviously an inaccurate weapon cannot produce small groups irregardless of the shooters abilities or if the weapon is mounted in a device to insure the weapon does not move.

Agree / disagree?

Sage 1

Comments

• FrostDawgFrostDawg Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My two cents...I always thought accuracy is a measure of the closeness a shot is to the intended target. Precision has to do with small groups. A bad shooter can influence both. A gun could print half inch groups consistently two foot wide and 6 inches low. But it would not be accurate at that point. But that's what adjustable sites are for. Still compare that to a gun putting a three inch group that is centered around the bulls eye...By your definition the gun shooting wide is more accurate. But if I were shooting at something I would want the other gun.
  • FrostDawgFrostDawg Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got me curious. From Wikipedia

In the fields of engineering, industry and statistics, the accuracy of a measurement system is the degree of closeness of measurements of a quantity to its actual (true) value. The precision of a measurement system, also called reproducibility or repeatability, is the degree to which repeated measurements under unchanged conditions show the same results.[1] Although the two words can be synonymous in colloquial use, they are deliberately contrasted in the context of scientific method.

That's about a nickel's worth...now I'm broke[^]
  • stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sure we could get very technical on this subject.

With regard to the accuracy of a firearm, I would suggest that the most common usage on this forum relates to the firearm's inherent ability to shoot small groups. In this regard, posters on this forum assume that a firearm can be sighted to hit a particular point of aim, but accuracy usually relates to the size of the groups that the firearm is able deliver.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    it is a bad craftsman who blames his tools[;)]
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regardless of its textbook/dictionary definition, the term "accuracy" simply isn't used consistently, and different people mean different things when they use the term. This is why I try to define explicity what I mean when I talk about this. Specifically:

Intrinsic or mechanical accuracy = how good the gun is. For example, how well the gun would shoot if you shot it from a mechanical rest removing all human variability. Most of the time people are talking about THIS when they refer to "accuracy". . .but not always.

Practical accuracy = how good the combination of the gun AND SHOOTER work together.

Note that a gun can have excellent intrinsic accuracy, but still lead to poor practical accuracy.

Snubnose revolvers are a perfect example of this.

Many of them are actually physically capable of shooting 2-3" groups or less at 25 yards with good ammo from a machine rest. Mechanically speaking, they can be just as accurate as larger revolvers.

But stick one in the hands of an actual shooter, and the bad sights, short sight radius, abbreviated grips, hard trigger, and harsh recoil combine to make hitting anything with these challenging.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no such word as irregardless. 'Without regard to' is regardless. Accuracy in language counts too.[}:)] Don't feel too badly, I have also seen disirregardless used.[xx(]

Accuracy in shooting is composed of two elements. Putting the bullet where you are aiming, doing so consistently. In the bullseye, all every time is the goal.

Clearly the abilities of the firearm and the abilities of the shooter must dovetail to acheive that goal.
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The english language and peoples definitions cause great confusion.

Had a friend in college once who asked me what my first impression of her was. I hesitated to answer, she finaly got me to tell her that my first impression of her was a sister. She was understandably upset but further discussion revealed that my/her definitions of sister and whore were reversed. So using her terminology we realized I should have called her a whore and she immediatly cheered up.

I've noticed on here that pistol, handgun, and revolver are used pretty interchangably sometimes. I was taught that pistols and revolvers are handguns but revolvers are never pistols and pistol are never revolvers.

editing note: Interesting, the filters changed the s'lut' to s'ister' but left 'whore' alone, guess my friend was right and s'lut' is more derogitory.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally, I take accuracy as a step by step process. Some of the steps in the process have become the end to the means.

1. I look to find the accuracy of a rifle (or pistol) removing as many human factors as I can while at the same time favoring the factors that accentuate the rifles ability. Meaning, to determine the weapons ability with minimal human interference, I shoot from a solid bench that won't shake if I touch it. The rifle is rested on sandbags and/or rest and not supported by me. Again, so I don't shake and cause the point of aim to change...however minutely. I load ammunition as true as I can to the chamber. That ammunition has also been tested to see where it finds the accuracy node (harmonic vibration) that gives best accuracy for the rifle. The stock of the rifle is modified to create a stiffer hold on the action as well as be more stable on the rest/sandbag. Step one is Benchrest which has become an end in the accuracy means in itself.

2. I do what I can to maintain my health so that my eyes can see and my muscles shake as little as possible. In each and every endeavor of shooting this enhances performance. I also learn to judge weather conditions and learn how it affects my shot. The rifle won't do that for you. You have to learn it. But it does affect the bottom line of accuracy.

3. I put the principles that I know to practice, i.e. calling wind shots, (calling every shot for that matter), dialing up 'come-ups' and spotting the shot. Using positions that enhance accuracy by not placing the strain of holding a rifle on your muscles but instead on your bones. While still maintaining the ability of your muscles to keep tension on the rifle to point it exactly where you want it to go.

When you take a rifle of known accuracy and your body of known ability you can then tighten down the parameters until they are both working in unison to be the most accurate you can shoot.

But for your question, yes I do separate a rifles accuracy from the shooter. It's easier to make that the best part of the equation. It takes more work for the shooter to be as good as a rifle can be.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Apparently, this is an ongoing definition problem. Last summer, I was showing some fairly impressive 3 shot groups which were in random areas of the target since these were test loads and the scope was not adjusted to specifically zero them. One older shooter looked at a couple of groups and then asked me why I was impressed since the groups were no closer than 3" from the center of the target. I attempted to explain that the closeness of the holes was important since the scope could be adjusted to put the group anywhere on the target. Didn't work and he walked away commenting on me depending on technology(he didn't use that term) rather than marksmanship.
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    One older shooter looked at a couple of groups and then asked me why I was impressed since the groups were no closer than 3" from the center of the target. I attempted to explain that the closeness of the holes was important since the scope could be adjusted to put the group anywhere on the target. Didn't work and he walked away commenting on me depending on technology(he didn't use that term) rather than marksmanship.

Next time tell them you were group shooting not target shooting.

When shooting really small groups off a bench how do you know if you are the limiting factor or the gun? I have never shot a 5 shot 100 yard group less than 0.20 but have shot more than a dozen groups less than 0.40. How do I know that the load I am working is better than the last if they are shooting in this range, I may be the whole difference?

Tim
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 25,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know many of my firearms are capable of better accuracy than I can get out of them. My buddy who is a former State pistol champ can out shoot me with my favorite firearms.

My oldest son out shoots me with most of my firearms also....

I just like to blame it on old age, bad eyes and any other excuse I can come up with...[:D]