In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scopes (again)

B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I really like the fullfield II but I just got a nice T/C icon in 300mag. I want good glass but my ol lady is gonna kick me * if I spend much over 400 bucks on a scope for it. Also what rings?

The Zee Rings huh? What makes them ROCK?? just curious

Comments

• ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't go wrong with another fullfield II in like a 3x9x40 and you will have serious beer money left over. My eyes aren't good enough these days to make use of glass that is much better then the fullfield II. For rings I use the Weaver 4x4 rings on my 8mmRemMag and my 375 H&H as well as all my lighter chamberings.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    B_Mc,

Like I said before...go Burris...at least get the Signature Zee rings to match your Icon, and if you must, get another Fullfield II scope if you can't afford a Signature scope. Those Signature rings ROCK!!!!!!

Best

EDIT

It also ROCKS to have an old lady like yours who will not protest a rifle and scope!...very much...hehehehe. Tell her all of us here on GB are appreciative of her, and if she has any single sisters or clones like her, we would love to know.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    B_Mc: Sorry to steal your thread but I'd like to know if ern98 has any 8 Rem Mag load data he'd like to share. I picked up a 700 in that chambering a couple years ago.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Burris make the signature rings which have plastic inserts to hold them so you do not have to lap the rings to make them concentric.

Burris Signature select scope is also the one you want.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a site that can get you a good deal..

http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mfg_selection=3&*_type=1&hide_sold=false

edit II; I'd have to go with the Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II for $280 on the link above, or the SigSelect 4-16X44 for $400.

edit; Burris Signature rings are the way to go. Hold securely, will not stress or leave marks on your scope.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the risk of going really low end, SWFA has a Burris 3 to 9 X 32 on sale for $120.00 - $70.00 off their regular price. It's one of their shorty models so you'll need to ensure the tube is long enough for your action, but at that price I think it's a pretty good deal.

I'd do a link but SWFA site is moving slow as heck.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Z rings use a polymer insert to hold the scope, steel never touches the tube, they come in a variety of "offsets". Ideally your scope should be at dead center, shooting to point of aim. This gives the scope its most relaxed natural resting point to return to after the shot. During recoil the scope has to absorb the shock, it does this with springs suspending the parts. When it is optically neutral it comes to rest more accurately shot after shot. Burris Z rings allow you to adjust POI with inserts if your scope requires more than a few click from center.

If you get a 3X9 Fullfield II scope, put it into Z rings you will never regret it.
  • B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a question about the inserts. Hard plastic Soft plastic?

Do they just lay in place on the actual rings?

What do you mean by offsets?
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B_Mc
    I have a question about the inserts. Hard plastic Soft plastic?

Do they just lay in place on the actual rings?

What do you mean by offsets?

They are very hard, but leave no marks on the tube. They have an oval profile sitting within the grove in the steel parts of the rings. The offset inserts are numbered, allowing you to adjust for misaligned bases (more common than you might think), inadequate adjustment in the scope for long range shooting or to allow almost perfect optical centering of the scope. After tinkering you can get the scope centered to within 4 to 6 clicks either way.

The rings never allow the scope move. I was shooting a 375 H&H that stripped the screws out of the barrel, mount an all, the scope never moved within the Z rings, even after leaving a nasty * in my thick head.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    I just picked up a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20 with illuminated reticle for 360.00 out the door yesterday. This was at a local gun shop that was clearing out some of their older optics. Sometimes the best deal can be found there rather than online, AND you are supporting a local business!

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg
  • MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SWFA has good prices and good service. For a long time they were offering Bushnell 3x9x38 Sportviews for about $50 Bucks...don't laugh but I have several and they work great! I believe they are now not available. I think the Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 for around $100 bucks is very competitive with scopes twice their cost.