In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 870

bruceterbruceter Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Do they or don't they (remignton that is) make an 870 with a 7-shot magazine as opposed to the ubiquitous 6 shot I see everywhere? I seem to recall seeing one in Shotgun News but I haven't been able to find one on GB. If so, where can I get one?

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."

Comments

• bruceterbruceter Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After I take a shot my next round 80% of the time will not load into the chamber, I have a B Square side mount for my scope, can it be that the receiver is being distorted enough to cause this malfunction??? Thanks for any suggestions.
    edited November -1
    anyway to date 870 wingmasters ? just got an older one.
    edited November -1
    Just an update....

I found all the things I needed for the 870. A tactical forend, which included a M3 Illuminator, belt carrier for the illuminator and 2 new lithium batteries, a top folding stock w/ tactical pistol grip and a side saddle shell holder all for $250. Not bad considering that I had only $100 in the shotgun. Thanks for the input everyone. Next on the list is a Sig P226 .357. I can but it know in the box, never been fired with the Sig case for $350. Good deal or not. I haven't had much expeience with Sigs. I have heard several issues, but none have been definant. Thanks.
    edited November -1
    have older Wingmaster 2 3/4" 16 ga that needs some help. Not finding very many parts on GB. My question is, are the 12 ga and 16 ga Wingmasters the same frame so wood stocks be interchangeable?
    edited November -1
    I have what could turn out to be a silly question. I recently purchased a used Remington 870 Express 12 gauge shotgun. It was sold to me as a Magnum being said that it will shoot 3" shells. It is not labeled Magnum it just says Remington 870 Express on the side of the receiver but it does however have an M after the serial number. The barrel is confusing as well because it says 2 3/4" or 3" shells in magnum receivers and 2 3/4" only in others. I have no idea how to figure it out. Does the M after the serial number denote that I have a magnum receiver and can in fact shoot 3" shells from this gun? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    edited November -1
    Where can I find INFO on the Remington 870 express magnum home defense 12ga? I can't find it anywhere on the web, including the remington site.
    edited November -1
    Where can I find info on the Remington 870 express magnum home defense 12ga? I can't find it anywhere on the web, including the remington site.
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington 870 wingmaster with a slug barrel. Can I put a regular barrel on it? Can it be a 3" barrel?
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    edited November -1
    I could use a little help in deciding which model of 870 is built the best, the most reliable and will stand up to heavy use. I have a wingmaster set up for home defense never had any problems. I would like to get a 20 ga for my sister for self defense. Most of all I see being sold is the express models are they as good as other models of the 870 and what do I need to know about them before I buy? What is the best model type? Thank you
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington 870 shot gun with a approx 16" barrel. I am being told that I can purchase longer barrels if I want to change them out for hunting, etc... Any info on this would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Mike
    edited November -1
    Just acquired a beautiful Remington 870 SC (Better Skeet Grade) in 12 Ga. The barrel does not have a serial number...is this the case for 870's? Barrel code says made in Dec '82. Also, would a 16Ga barrel fit into this gun? Thanks!
    edited November -1
    I found an older Remington 870 I was looking at buying. It all looks nice but the lettering is white colored. Did Remington ever put white lettering on their shotguns? The shotgun I am looking at is probably mid to late 1970s it could be real early 80s but I don't think so.
    edited November -1
    did the early 870s have the forearm similar to the Winchester grooved forearm>
    edited November -1
    Is the Remington 870 7-shot 20 Ga. pump a good shotgun?
    edited November -1
    Just bougt a Remington 870 Magnum with a scope on it. I cannot
    find the serial number on it. Is it under the scope mount? and
    am I going to have to take the scope off to fint it? Thanks in
    advance for the help.

We have gravity on earth because the world sucks
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a remington 870 12 gauge NWTH limited edition. I want to build a tactical shotgun for home defense purposes, should I take apart this limited edition piece, or search for a different lower reciever?
    edited November -1
    Can the safety be reversed from right hand to left hand operation ?
    Thanks!
    edited November -1
    is there any way to change an 870 that only shoots 2 3/4 inch shells to accomidate 3 or 3 1/2 inch shells?
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The express models of the 870 are basically the same as the Wingmaster models except the fit and finish.

The express models are the same guns inside just not so perty on the outside.

Good luck.

Bode
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • steamingutpilesteamingutpile Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington is celebrating the manufacture of the ten millionth 870. Go to their website and signup to win one of ten commerative 870s. Had an 870 since I was eighteen now I'm 21 with 36yrs experience. The gun has only been in the shop once and the problem was minor only cost $25.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 25,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both Wingmasters and Express models. Three of my Express' are set up for deer hunting. The one I use is 16 years old. It has fired several hundred slugs over the years, been in the rain, snow and used in temps down to 25 below zero. Never had a problem with it.

My favorite Wingmaster is fifty years old and was my Grandfather's. I have no idea how many rounds he shot though it, but I have put several thousand through it in the 20 years I have owned it.

My point, there really is not any difference in the models. The Wingmaster is prettier, but the express models are just as good just not as nice fit and finish wise....
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 870 is a gun that you could buy sight unseen and probably have zero problems regardless of condition, model, and previous rounds fired. 30 years ago I bought one that was rusted "shut" for $30 and after a night with several ounces of penetrating oil it worked like a new one. It was an early 16 guage and the next week I sold it for $95. I wish I had kept it!
  • clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The main differences is that a express's action is not as smooth for lack of a better words. Other than that I would certianly trust my wife to use mine....if she needs to.
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd get the 870 express for her,as said only difference is the finish
    IMO
  • SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hdcolt51
    I'd get the 870 express for her,as said only difference is the finish
    IMO

I love my 870 express. It is the mainstay of my home defense weapons. I put the pistol grip on mine. I dont shoot it much, but its never once given me a problem.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Besides the lower quality finish, Express models contain some MIM'ed internal parts - including their extractor - and has a plastic trigger group base.

Wingmasters contain no MIM'ed parts and use an aluminum trigger base.
  • B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had no problems with my 2 express models other than the finish. they absoulutely love to rust.