In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt SAA mother of pearl

bigkanebigkane Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1906 Colt Frontier Six Shooter that I purchased from a friend of the family. It has mother of pearl grips with a steer head on the right grip. Does anyone know how to date grips, other than contacting Colt to see if they're original? I've tried contacting Colt to obtain a archive letter, but they're hard to get a hold of. I'm thinking of selling the gun, should I get a letter first?

Comments

• beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless the grips are factory matched to the gun, or you have some specific documentation on them, they're not likely datable.

In terms of the second thing, obviously, there isn't any point in getting a factory letter AFTER selling the gun!

If the question is whether or not you should bother, I'd go for it, as I think a factory letter can only enhance the value of a collectible gun, and its probably worth the effort.

Links to pics from below:
    steer2.jpg
    steer1.jpg
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A factory letter is your best bet! If the grips that came on the gun from the factory were standard for the time, hard rubber in the case of a 1906 gun, the Archive letter will usually state "Type of Stocks: Not Listed". However, if they were special order, carved pearl grips would be special order; the Archive letter will usually list them.

If you post in focus high resolution pictures we might be able to identify them as factory or aftermarket, but again, a letter is your best bet.

You didn't mention the grips having medallions, but if they did have them, 1906 would be too early for medallions from the factory.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    both Ivory and mother of pearl will age /mellow If you have been looking at both types for years you can spot older ones from new . One way you can tell if Fake is with a red hot pin in a non visible area touch the grip and if it melts at the point of the pin it is plastic not real.
  • bigkanebigkane Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks also for everyone's input. Has anyone ever had problems contacting Colt? I've tried several times to no avail. Last time I was directed to a voicemail and left my name and number, but still haven't heard from 'em(been almost two weeks).
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Colt pearl or ivory grips, but I viewed the four pictures of your Colt and while the grips don't quite fit in a couple of places, they are close and might possibly be original to the gun. The heel of the right grip makes it look like they came from an early gun that had a more pronounced beveling of the heel of the grip frame. However, the grips might have chipped at that point. From the pictures you've provided I'm just not ready to declare their originality to the gun, either yes or no; perhaps someone more familiar with pearl grips will make that call. Like I indicated, the fit is fair, but not perfect and that could be due to age, wear, and cleaning over the years.

Regarding Colt Archive Services, when I've left a message for them I've received a call back either the same day or within a couple of days, depending on their research workload. Did you leave your message at Colt Archive Services 1-800-962-COLT (2658)?

If you request expedited services so that you can obtain all of the information over the phone with a letter to follow in about 2 weeks, then the cost is $150. If you request the standard service you will receive a letter in about 90 days and that will cost $100.

By the way, you need to slide the base pin back into the cylinder until it locks in place.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• bigkanebigkane Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the heads up on the base pin. I'll give Colt another try next week. It's been almost two weeks since I left them my name and number. The grips don't look like they've been cracked or broken in person. Could be from an older gun I suppose, would be nice to have that letter.