In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What's it worth? All matching numbers Like new

prangleprangle Member Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
WWII unissued Mosin Nagant.
MVC-010F.jpg
MVC-005F-5.jpg
MVC-006F-5.jpg
MVC-007F-2.jpg

Also I need Official Police grips.

MVC-002F-10.jpg

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a million Model 1944's MN's floating around, they have been coming in from Eastern Europe by the container load for the last 10 years. Don't waste your time trying to sell it now, when everything is in the toilet. Hold on to it, eventually the supply will dry up and it will go up in value. Likely unless you stumble across some guy who just fell off a turnip wagon, you would just be giving it away if you put it on the auction now.
  • prangleprangle Member Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1945 You didn't answer the question and gave a garbled answer.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    TOP DOLLAR, ABOUT $100
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by prangle
    1945 You didn't answer the question and gave a garbled answer.

You are just going to have to pull your head out of your butt, you can't see anything and it smells funny.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    worth 89.95 keep it and enjoy it
  • tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are currently 11 pages w/ 50 items per page on the auction side under Mosin Nagant.You can see which ones are getting bids.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    1945 laminate refurb M44. Maybe $120.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without invective, Russian M44 carbines in unissued condition are not at all scarce. I think they were literally manufactured by the hundreds of thousands for use by Russia and its satellites at and after the end of WWII.

Note that yours has a laminate stock (as do most of these), rather than a solid wood stock. The triangle-arrow insignia indicates that this was manufactured at the Ishevsk arsenal (which is nothing special).

The overwhelming majority of these guns were made after the war was over, and virtually all of the ones manufactured during the war saw actual use. So if your gun is truly unissued, then its most likely of post-war manufacture.

Anyway, eventually these guns found their way into the surplus market, with the USA being the biggest global consumer of surplus military arms.

If you've never shot one, they're not for the faint of heart! They're loud as cannons, they kick like angry mules, and they also put out an unbelievable flash because of the short barrels:

m44+blast.jp

In terms of supply, it seems like the never-ending supply of these actually HAS finally started to dry up. I know because I was looking for one myself just a few months ago. Many of the usual Mosin dealers are out of these, including ones with 91/30s in stock, and the one or two I've spoken to said they don't expect to get any more.

The few that still advertise these are asking $99-120 retail.

On the auction site, these are actually selling for about $90-150, and in fact, I don't think $150 is so crazy for a truly unissued one in mint condition. FWIW, Polish ones command a bit of a premium.

In terms of selling it, eh. . .that's up to you, but if you have any interest in shooting, I'd keep it.

I think these make pretty good "beater" guns, since they are rugged, and surplus ammo is still relatively cheap. A tin of 440 rounds of surplus ammo runs about $100, and you could do a lot worse for a low-cost "truck" or "SHTF" gun. The 7.62x54R round itself is literally powerful enough to drop a moose, though obviously for hunting you'd want legit hunting ammo (which is readily available), not military surplus ball ammo. If you choose, you can remove the bayonet just by undoing one screw.

Frankly, there are so many of these floating around that they are probably never going to be worth ALL that much during your lifetime. So I wouldn't hold my breath for a big payday down the road selling one of these.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    prangle, send me an e-mail.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Above the date on the barrel shank, you will see a rectangle with a vertical line in it. This is a Ukrainian depot rework mark, indicating that the gun is not unissued, but has seen service and was reworked. The different depots used different, distinctive, rework marks. However, many of the guns that were reworked went unissued afterwards, being just placed in storage.

The reworks rarely have all of their original parts, and the parts that were used when the gun was reassembled were renumbered to match the gun number. This was done by either scrubbing the numbers from the parts, or by lining them out, and then renumbering them with either stamps or electro-pencil, to all match. When stamps were used, the alpha prefixes were sometimes omitted, but your bolt has all six characters.

During rework, the guns were often restocked in new wood. A used but reworked stock will also carry its own rework mark, on the right side of the butt.

The reworks can be found with bore conditions that vary from somewhat dark to nearly new, but all fall within serviceable specs. Some guns had their muzzles counterbored to eliminate belled rifling at the muzzle that was caused by cleaning-rod wear.

A couple of million M44's were made in 1944 and 1945, with about 50,000 having been made in 1943 for combat-trial purposes. About 600,000 more were made by the Soviets in the years 1946-1948, and as others have said, production also continued post-war in other East-Bloc countries.

In reading about Russian WW2 experiences on their websites, one of the scouts who specialized in infiltrating enemy positions and kidnapping a soldier to be brought back and interrogated, said he preferred the 7.62x54 Carbine to a submachine gun. It was because if the Russians were discovered and shooting broke out, the Germans immediately took some kind of cover, and cover mattered much less to the 7.62x54. That, and like Beantownshootah said, they also qualified as a psy-war weapon and almost as a flame-thrower.

For the reasons that everyone gave, if it was mine, I'd keep it. You could do worse for a gun, and for a lot more money.