In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dan Wesson 41 Magnum value.

emtwhickeremtwhicker Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
My dad has a Dan Wesson 41 Magnum CTG. revolver in very good to excellent condition. 6 inch barrel, stainless 6 shot with adjustable sights, original DW wood grips and a set of Hogue grips. He is considering trying to sale it, but we are having trouble finding a value for it. He was told awhile ago it was worth approx. $700. One of our local dealers told him it was only worth 300-400 now. We don't think that was accurate. Can anyone help???

Comments

• KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dan Wesson firearms are of good quality but they do not have the collector interest of say a Colt. I have to agree with the dealer, if you're looking to sell and can get $400 I'd let her go.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to disagree with knifeusercollections on this one. A quick search of completed auctions shows an 8" CTG recently sold on the auction side for $780+ in similar condition. Put it up on the auction side with a starting price you can live with and no reserve, or I feel the way to get top dollar is starting at $1 with no reserve. This method generates far more watchers and bidders and will ultimatly get you a higher final $$$. Post lots of high quality photos and give a contact phone number if you have no feedback yet.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like the DW and the 41 Magnum - unfortunately most folks don't, I don't believe the gun is worth $700.00 used. I see plenty of DW stainless 44s for about $450.00, so I'd say your 41 Magnum is probably a $400.00 gun and the local guy is right. There's also a significant difference between what the gun would sell for and what it's worth to a reseller.

Selling it to a gun store you'd probably get $300.00 for it. If they offer it, you may want to put it on consignment at a gun store, the store usually gets 20%. I'd say put a $450.00 price on it, gives the dealer some room to bargain and who knows - maybe someone who really likes the 41 caliber will pay full fare for it.

If you still have contact with the fellow who mentioned $700.00, contact him and tell him you've got a great deal for him - you'll sell it to him for only $500.00. [;)]

Hope this helps.
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for the people looking for the 41 they bring a little more money. 450.00 to 550.00 depending on you region and the buyer.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $600 gun all day long...Dan Wesson 41mags are much harder to find than the 44mag