In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

41 or 45

rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Morning, need a little
advice as I have no
experience in either cal.
I want to but either a Ruger blackhawk
in 41 or 45. I have a contender
with a 14" bbl in 41 ,10" in 44 and 45/410 bbl
Have a mod 29 in 44
I am getting ready for
retirement and I'd like
another long range pistol
to "plink" at 100 yds.
What advice can u give
this old man.
Thanks so much
rong

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well...some advice...you will have a lot more time to ponder this, when you are retired...doubtful but sounds nice.

The only one that you don't really have is a real 45. I would go with the Blackhawk in the 45 Colt...although the 41 Magnum is good too. You should have an idea what that contender will do in the 41 Magnum though. Tis a very hard question, but I would go with the 45.

EDIT 1

I know how to solve the problem of needing a Blackhawk in either 41 or 45...find a nice local dealer who wants to make a little money, that will give you a deal on a set of two or 3 Blackhawks...get one each in 357, 41, and 45.

By the way, the Blackhawk in 45 is a much stronger gun then the Colt SAA, and can be loaded to 44 Magnum levels...a real thumper indeed. But it can also be loaded with the mundane cast lead 255's at 800 fps.

If you don't reload, that is something to consider also, for the times when you are not shooting or working on the HDL(honey do list).

Best
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Thanks , to be honest
    I bought the contender
    a month ago and haven't
    shot it.I can't explain
    I've become feverish, I
    bought 2 xtra barrels a 44
    and a 41. and now i want a blackhawk
    in something.I've shot
    thousands of 44'in all types
    of platforms but I "absolutely"
    need a ruger in 41 or 45
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe an important point is whether or not you reload. Your post indicated an interest in shooting at 100 yds. Most factory 45 Colt ammo is relatively weak. Factory 41s are much hotter. I would be happier with a 41 if I were shooting factory ammo.

However, if you reload, then everything changes. Developing a load for the 45 that will have the velocity that I would want to shoot at 100 yds is easy. In this case your choice is "which girl is prettier." Either caliber will do the job. Probably be a little more recoil with "full-house" 45 Colt loads in the same platform due to the heavier bullets that you will likely be using.

Both are fun. If possible, I would get both.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a pre '73 Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag(hence my user name[:D]) and it is one of the most accurate handguns I have ever owned. If you don't HAVE to have a brand new gun I would highly recommend finding a nice used Pre 1973 model that has not had the transfer bar safety installed. Mine has not and has the slickest action--there is one caveat though and that is you have to carry it with the hammer on a empty chamber for safety reasons if you are walking the woods. The New Models are nice too but the transfer bar set up somewhat makes their actions not as slick---find 2 and compare them and you will see what I am talking about.

The .41 Mag has more than enough punch to hunt big game and target shoot--although out past 100 yards I would think you might need to scope it which is easy enough to do.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This one has 45 acp cylinder which makes it a little more verstile and a little cheaper to shoot [img][/img]PICT0020.jpg
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For 100 yds and even if you don't reload, one answer - a 14" Contender barrel in 30 Carbine, 30.30 or 223. Your choice, personally I'd go with the 30 Carbine because you can always get a 30 Carbine Blackhawk a little later. The others have advantages such as cheap as heck & variety ammo (223) or better longer range ballistics (30.30) but Aguila sells 50 rds of 30 Carbine for $19.00 and you can get a 30 Carbine barrel for about $225.00. With a SA and a single shot, 100 rds of ammo will last all day.

BTW, I love the 41 and the Blackhawk but at 100 yds I'd say go with the T/C since you already have it.
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much guys!!!
    Rong
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .454 Ruger that shoots Long Colt.
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the