In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best scope for 30-30

red65baronred65baron Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I own a Marlin Lever action 30-30 and want to put a new scope on it. What would be the best scope at a reasonable price. I do hunt out of a tree stand and also in the clearing.

Comments

• 22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a lot of options for you and any specific recommendation will likely start an argument with others who have their personal favorites for this application. For the lever guns which will be used out to 150 yards or so but may have much closer shots too, I prefer the small variables such as a Leupold, Burris, or Nikon in
    1-4X or 1.5-5X or anything in that range. Plenty of magnification for ranges to 150+ yards yet maximum field of view on the low power for close/brush situations. The Burris compact 3X9 is a pretty good fit too although it sacrifices some of the field of view obtainable at the lower magnifications. You'd also be fine with any of the fixed powers such as 2 3/4, 4 or even six. Lots of options. I'd go to a dealer that carries several brands and models (Cabelas, Bass Pro, others) and try out a few. Go with the one that "feels" best and fits your budget. Or you might go to the auction side and find a used one after you decide which brand and model you like. I've got quite a few scopes that are 20 or more years old and work just fine for the application you have in mind.
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    Back in the day when I shot 30-30 I used a Bushnell 1.5-4.5x20 shotgun scope on my Marlin and it served me well. I know all of the nay sayers will bash Bushnell but it did the trick and filled the freezer.
  • ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my Marlin .30-30 back in 1965 when I was 13 yrs old. Used iron sites for awhile then mounted a Wards Westernfield (made in Japan)fixed 4 power wide angle high central over bore with the see through mounts. Have taken deer, squirrel, rabbits and partridge with it. Iron sites are right on at 50 yards with holes on top of each other. Pet re-load is 170 Hornady flat point over 30 grains of IMR 3031. I have other deer rifles but the .30-30 Marlin is my first! If you can't use the iron sites I'd recommend a variable with lower power to use in close brush, moving shots.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First reasonable price means different things to different people. However a 30-30 isn't a 1000 yard rifle or even 500 for that matter so you do not need a 1000 yard scope. Personally I keep mine on the lowest power but like the option of high power and with today's variable scope options you can get 2.5-10X giving you the best of both worlds. The higher power can come in handy, even at ranges in the 30-30 realm. My choice would be a Bushnell elite 4200 in 2.5-10X 40mm, cost about $400 or the elite 3200 for about 1/2 that price. The rainguard on the Bushnell elite series is invaluable in damp/rainy weather.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    IF you are really going to scope it some kind of low (lower) profile scope is my choice. To me a large 3-9 x40 or larger size scope is too large and cumbersome on that type of gun. I know, I just to a Bushnell 3200 OFF a Marlin (.45-70) for just that reason. I think I am going to replace it with a 1-5x (depends on brand) style scope.

I have a .30-30 that came with a compact 4x on it. I had planned on pulling it off but it shots so well I left it.

Fixed is probably going to be a less expensive choice and 4x (in a compact scope) is a great choice. The variable scopes give you a little more adjustment for range, but they cost more.
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would buy a used 1-4X or a 1.5-5X with a straight 20mm objective tube in a Leupold, Redfield or Weaver brand. You should be able to get a nice one for between $75-$250 depending on the brand. Mount it low and you'll have a great looking outfit that will perform well.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old eyes like mine that no longer focus well on the front site eh? One of my .30-30s wears a straight 4x scope, all I need out to 200 yards with LeverRevolution cartridges. Another wears a Burris Fast Fire red dot screen, very low profile and gets the job done. I also have glasses prescribed by my doctor that allow me to focus on the front site, for use with the older 94s not bored and tapped for scopes. They also work fine for squirrel hunting.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally like the Burris Fullfield II, or a Nikon Buckmaster in a 2-7 power for that type of rifle. With the 30-30, you should limit your shots to 200 yards or under. The larger objective lens on that power range will collect more light in the darker hours, that the 20mm lenses. You should be able to find one of those for around $200.00ish with bases and rings.

Best
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 to 7 power the best and hardest to find.[^]
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with He Dog. A 4x fixed scope is perfect for deer hunting with a .30-30.