In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Period scopes for Rem 700 Varmint Specials?

valhalla ssvalhalla ss Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am slowly aquiring each caliber Remington offered in their old 700 BDL heavy barrel Varmint Specials. I don't plan on shooting them as I have too many to shoot now, but with them being produced with NO SIGHTS, I would like to install period correct scopes on them. What scopes would people have put on these rifles in the 70's and 80's? I want them to be period correct. They look funny with no sights and no scopes.

Comments

• stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Valhalla:

In 1975 and 1976, I had a friend with one of the Model 700 Varminters. It was in 25-06 and had a quite heavy barrel. We shot a number of rockchucks in Southern Idaho.

I cannot remember what scope he had on it. However, I had a Leupold Vari-X II 3 X 9 AO on my Weatherby Mark V in .240 Weatherby. That scope was quite popular then. It is quite possible that my friend had a Leupold Vari-X II 6 X 18, but I cannot be sure.
  • dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother and I had one in 6mm in the early 70's. We put a 12x Redfield 3200 on it IIRC.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do the same with 50s and early 60s rifles and use steel bodied Weavers, for a 70s rifle I don't think a steel Weaver is out of place. The fixed 10X with adjustable objective would be right, I think. But the 70s & 80s rifles speak in general to those high gloss finished aluminium bodied Redfields and Bushnells, maybe even a Bausch & Lomb. For mounts I would use single base turn in type.

Check out the auction sites with "vintage rifle scope".
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Weaver would be the way to go, or Redfield, or the Burris Fullfield 12X
  • craig 25-06craig 25-06 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the 70`s I had two BDL varminters one 22-250 and a 6MM, both had 12X Leupolds and Redfield Mounts. But be warned the leupolds are hard to find and pricey.
    These two accounted for countless rockchucks and coyotes in eastern Idaho.
    Regards
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leupold, Redfield, Weaver.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weaver 10x was popular. I picked one up cheap to mount on a Mauser 220 Swift. At this time I don't have quite the right style of stock to make it a retro 60's varmint gun but that's in the future.
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another good choice would be a Lyman All American.
  • stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would also add Redfield 4 X 12 from that era.