In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mitchells mausers:

shooteroneshooterone Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have been thinking of buying a k98 mauser from Mitchells mausers but have heard some negative reports about them. Have any of you had any experience with that company?

Comments

• HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    They look nice but are not authentic.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It all depends what you want? If you want a authentic, W W II, 98 k, collectors grade Mauser? Your not going to get it from Mitchell. If you want a excellent condition Mauser to hang on the wall as a decorator/conversation piece, go for it.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    there's one on the auction side that pretty well sums it up (imho)[:0][:D]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142069282
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    there's one on the auction side that pretty well sums it up (imho)[:0][:D]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142069282
    lol I almost lost some coffee on that one [:D]
  • 82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    are they "shooter friendly"? or best left for display?
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some may shoot well. You won't know until the money is spent. They do function.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 82trooper
    are they "shooter friendly"? or best left for display?

If you just want a "shooter" Mauser? You can buy one a heck of a lot cheaper then the bogus ones that Mitchell is pedaling. You can find all kinds of "shooter" Mausers on the auctions and local gun shows. I went to one yesterday, things are so tight money wise that the sellers were just sitting around with their thumbs up their butts looking at each other. I thought it was a hoot, these guys weren't selling enough to pay for their tables and gas.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably one of the better buys in a shooter Mauser is the Yugo M48. I believe these are what MM refers to as "Serbian" Mausers. The Yugos were made after WW2 on German equipment, & many of them are unissued.

Neal
  • crisisbillcrisisbill Member Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mitchell's are beautiful wallhangers and from time to time you will get a good shooter, but they are far from collector guns.
    I went to my doctors house for dinner and after dinner he invited me into his gun room for a drink, some of the items he had were very nice.
    After pawing over many of his guns I found that most were nothing more than "Eye Candy" they looked pretty on the wall but when I looked for marks or orignal parts and finish none were to be found ; thats what you get from Mitchells.
    A week later I had him come over to see some of my stuff, while my stuff was not as shiny and pretty it was original.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shooterone
    I have been thinking of buying a k98 mauser from Mitchells mausers but have heard some negative reports about them. Have any of you had any experience with that company?

In sum, they are functional Mauser rifles, but

a. They are overpriced. You can get similar guns elsewhere on the market for less money, and
    b. Being reworked guns, they have no collectors value.

If you want something that simply looks nice, these are fine.

If you want something as an investment/collectors gun. . .pass.

If you want something to SHOOT, try to find one of the numerous Yugoslavian Mauser rifles like an M24/47 or an M48. These can STILL be had in excellent to unissued condition for $150 or less.