In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best shipping Co.

delsouldelsoul Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
What seems to be the overall most economical carrier to ship with, Fedex or UPS? I can't seem to get under $12 shipping for approx 3 day delivery. Can't find an option for 5-7 day delivery that might be cheaper. Any thoughts much appreciated.

-Mike

Comments

• joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    USPS Priority Mail with flat rate boxes.
  • delsouldelsoul Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You cannot ship ammo with the USPS, so I am told...

-Mike
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joel may be right, but it depends on what you are shipping, where you are shipping it, & the size of the item.

Sometimes, you have no choice but UPS or Fedex (like, when you are a nonlicensee & shipping a handgun).

In all cases, the only way to determine "most economical" is to use the shippers online calculator; most charges are based on size, weight, distance, recipient, declared value, & special circumstances.

Neal

EDIT: Yes, you are correct; ammo must go UPS or Fedex.
  • delsouldelsoul Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    But is it legal to ship ammo with the U.S. Postal service? According to their website it says ammo in un-mailable.

-Mike
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by delsoul
    You cannot ship ammo with the USPS, so I am told...

-Mike

I suppose there was a valid reason for your neglecting to mention that you wanted to ship ammunition, which of course would have eliminated USPS and also so that we would not have had to spend any time guessing what items you wished to ship. Little details like how much the package weighs and the distance involved between you and the recipient might also prove useful in determining what carrier to use. I know these are bothersome little details but it makes it hard to assist you without them.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeeze Mark, you are such a stickler. Besides, he answered his own question. UPS, FEDEX take your pick and pay through the nose either way. For what it is worth, one large lot ammo dealer I buy from uses UPS. Personally I hate UPS.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As it happens, this weekend I separately mailed out about 500 rounds of ammo, a rifle frame and a rifle. Since I was picking up an item at FedEx, I spoke with them first regarding the rifle frame.

The rifle frame was a T/C Encore in of course a fairly small box. FedEx told me it must go overnight, cost about $50.00. I explained it wasn't a handgun, just a rifle frame. She and her boss told me all "firearms" must be sent overnight. I asked both to double check, they said they did and it must go overnight - this despite having a week earlier sent out a long gun via regular ground for about $15.00. I went to UPS, they sent out all the items properly ID'd with no issues, all ground. I think the ammo cost about $8.00.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe that you were given correct information. Always print out the relevant section of the tariff before you take a gun for shipment.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/index.html?tsid=s3

Neal