In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun appraisal course?

CanuckCountryboyCanuckCountryboy Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I want to take a 'GUN APPRAISAL COURSE' to become a gun appraiser. I can't seem to find a place where a person take this course. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find a course like this to take?

[?]

Comments

• JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CanuckCountryboy
    I want to take a 'GUN APPRAISAL COURSE' to become a gun appraiser. I can't seem to find a place where a person take this course. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find a course like this to take?

[?]

I've never heard of such a course. What you are probably looking to become is a licensed/certified appraiser. From that point there are likely speciality areas, such as cars, antique jewelry, etc., etc.

You should find some type of national appraisers association and proceed from there.

John
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only "Gun Appraisal Course" that I am aware of takes many many years to complete and to master. It also includes numerous lessons in fakery, snookery, thievery, and plain old dishonesty.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Bert. I have seen antique appraisers put high values on guns, just because they are old, and APPEAR to be in high original condition. A lot of these guys are also tied in to auction houses...either locally or nationally. Then they will appraise a butchered up "Custom Gun", forsay one that has been engraved by an amatuer, with the same level of engraving, as something of a masterpiece.

There is really scheduled course that cn teach this level of experience. However, there are, I'm sure, courses that do teach appraisal on a broader level. I would think that to specialize in any area like cars, antique furniture, guns, sporting equipment, or anything that can be collected, would require years of experience in those area's.

Best
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert H and Tsr1965 Have given you some good advice. best way to teach yourself is Hands on at gun shows Plus looking right here on Gunbroker look at the items that have gotten a high number of bids and Sold that is their "appraised value " by the people that know guns for the most part. Pay close attention to the best pictures verbal description can be misleading. This is something like Bert H stated that will take years. Their is no one DAY one Month one Year SHORT CUT.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:There is no one DAY one Month one Year SHORT CUT.

I am not sure that is true. I have seen some appraisers that appear to me to have exactly that level of trining and experience.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Appraising a one of is different than being able to say "this glock is worth $400".

The one of stuff will take years... however, the NRA has guidelines on what exactly "95%" means, and a recent blue book AND looking at completed GB auctions sorted by number of bids will give you a real world price for more common items...
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Canuck, You are apparently at the entry to the entry of the learning curve. If you are serious you might take a course in Real Estate Appraisal. They do exist. If you survive that and still are interested in appraisal of guns, you will have at least learned what appraisal is all about. It's all about perception, definition, communication and state of mind -- different person to person.

Taking what you have learned about appraisal in general, you are prepared to learn about guns and what is important to know about evaluating them. It includes all the things Bert H and those above have said above plus a few others.

With all that, you will learn that there is still no way to REALLY know what the condition of a bore or finish or stock it by reading what people write. Many of us on the forum who have 'been there, done that' give our best description and still answer the questions by people who don't quite know what we mean. Same thing, we have to ask questions to try to understand the other person's description.

If you know the person you are dealing with, little of all that matters.
  • team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Appraisal's...being back from the Antique Roadshow i can say that some know the business and some pull prices out of their butts..1st thing to learn is the items that you will be appraising...like others posted it will take a long learning curve with a ton of research to be comfortable to give a proper and on the track evaluation...as a test i did my homework with my items for the roadshow prior to going...all of my appraisals were generic and low balled...the top road show people you see on TV know the market..the ones they hire for the day to get extra appraiser coverage are your typical antique dealers that are looking for the spot light of being an appraiser on the roadshow...my 2 cents
  • BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gents,

I think what is not being said is that "appraisal" depends on the goal of an appraiser:[:p]

Appraising for his own business.

Appraising for a related business

Appraising for a total stranger

Let's take the first example: When I worked as a mechanic for a large car dealership, I got to see some training programs that were geared toward used cars. Used car dealers were instructed to go around a car that was brought in for sale, while its owner was standing right there. The "appraiser" carried a clipboard, and would visibly show negative qualities of the car in question (scratches, dents, etc.), and "note" them on the clipboard during the walkaround. This would tell the customer that his car was worth much less than he thought it was worth. The appraiser would then work up a price to pay the seller, which was always going to be lowball, anyway. During this entire process, the appraiser is supposed to be thinking about how he can, inexpensively, "improve" (wash, wax, detail, simple repair) the car for quick sale, at a large proffit. Honesty was always stressed in these programs, but proffit was certainly the focus.

I would say that my second example is closely related to the first.

I believe that my third example would be the one where the appraiser has little interest in resale proffit, but where he would need to know the most about originality of what he is appraising.

In all of what I have written, here, I believe that honesty is the key.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First of all, no matter how good the appraiser, the only true way to get the real price for anything is to determine what the market for them can bear. So ultimately appraisal is as much about judging the market as it is about judging the merchandise.

Anyway, the way you learn how to appraise guns is by experience.

There are MANY different types of guns in the world, no one person can possibly know all there is to know about all of them, and their value isn't always obvious.

In general, to become a good judge of prices (eg an appraiser) I'd say you have to look at a LOT of guns VERY carefully (we're talking thousands) to get good and familiar with types of guns, types of finish, wear characteristics, what refinishes look like, and what types of forgeries look like. You have to learn about guns, including historical info, manufacturing, etc. Lastly to judge the market and value, you have to be involved in actual gun sales, if not by doing so personally, at least by seeing pricing and trends in pricing.

So far as I know, there is no such thing as a formal gun appraisal school. The closest thing to that might be working in a busy gunstore for a few years, or at a professional gun auction house.

While there is definitely merit to learning some of this by formal apprenticeship (eg learning from the people who know from training and experience) ultimately, there is no substitute for experience.