In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

emergency survival kit

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
i bought this costco kit on sale for $99. it all comes in a large plastic bucket (7.5 gallon size). i wanted something easily transported and with a water purifier. i thought this was a good deal.
now, what gun do i take?
i'm thinking my winchester 94 (30-30) will do most anything i need, but i'm tempted to go with a ruger 10/22 for the smaller game i'm likely to go after, but question if it's big enough to be an "all around" gun.
what negatives can you think of for each gun?
any problems you see with the survival kit?
thanks
tom
btw, i'll still be carrying a handgun(s), likely a .45 and a 9mm

oh, and the kit is for me an the mrs who is a diabetic.

EDIT:
quote:If your serious, you must not have a stationary sanctuary, i.e. your house, basement. You will be overrun

i do have a house with a basement, but what if the zombies take over the house while i'm at work? then i'll have to set up camp at he office. i would much prefer staying in and defending the house, but want t be prepared to bug out if needed.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11469131&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=75277&Browse=1&hierPath=3605*77253*75277*&lang=en-US

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    If I only had one gun, I'd make it a .22 magnum.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kits are a good start. But, they usually don't include the most critical items, such as water & food. You might be able to find a case or 2 of MRE's in my basement.

I just read "How to Survive Anywhere" by Christopher Nyerges, & he's got a lot of good ideas. I think each of us has to analyze where we live, all possibly scenarios, & customize our "survival" kits. Some of us need to be more prepared for 2-legged predators, in which case a semi-auto like an AR-type rifle might be worth considering.

Neal

"Just because you're paranoid, that doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you." --- Neal
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    EDIT:

quote:"Just because you're paranoid, that doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you." --- Neal

I like that!
    i hadn't thought about an AR. i have one in 9mm and one in .223/5.56.
    how big of a critter can i efficiently kill with the .223. (ie, small deer?)
  • spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with a AR-10A2 16-1/2" barrel with a flat top. And have your wife carry the Ruger 10/22. Problem solved, semi that can down big problems and deer. Get like 6 to 10 mags and 10 times ammo. And do your self a favor and get a wagon to piut the gear in.

Spec
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,905 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your serious, you must not have a stationary sanctuary, i.e. your house, basement. You will be overrun. Go from there and do your own plan, as above with location ect...imo..nambu
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have the most common caliber hand gun and rifle I think that is the real question here not the caliber that you sware by.

Emmett
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    99.99999% of all homes are totally indefensible...might as well put out picnic table & lawn chairs...love 22 magnum for getting small game up to deer but you need bigger for two legged predators...i would think a defensive scenario would involve a small group of trustworthy people
    edited November -1
    quote:99.99999% of all homes are totally indefensible...might as well put out picnic table & lawn chairs...

that might be a whole thread right there, how do you make your home defendable? I'm talking within reason.
    I have motion sensors at the front of the house on the drive way. (there's only one way into the property by car and it's a 1/4 mile driveway) the motion sensors have an audible alert and trigger two closed circuit cameras so i can see who's comming. It's an inexpensive system with parts from radioshack. i didn't put it in for zombies, just like to know who's comming before they get here!
    btw, my nearest neighbor is 3 miles.
    so, what can be done to make your house more defendable?
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cameras will be great for an emergency when the lights go out and you can start the generator you don't have.
    edited November -1
    quote:The cameras will be great for an emergency when the lights go out and you can start the generator you don't have.

what makes you think i don't have a generator?