In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Models 1895, 1984, + others

dustin1706dustin1706 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hey all,

Found this site a while back and have been enjoying reading a lot of posts.

My Father told me that he's giving me his rifles as he only uses a .22 and 12g anymore, so I am going through the process of cleaning them up and seeing what kind of info I can get on some of the more curious ones.

I really don't plan on selling any of these, but I am just wondering if there are any interesting bits of trivia about them that I may have missed, year of manufacture, and what they woudl be worth if I ever decided to sell.

The one I am most curious about is a Winchester model 1895 that belonged to my great great grandfather originally. It has been heavily used, but is all original as far as I am aware. It is S/N 295xx, and has 30 U.S stamped on the barrel as the caliber.

IMG_1033.jpg
IMG_1034.jpg

The next one is a model 1894, 30WCF S/N 748xxx. again this was a family owned gun and is all original except that the front sight has been replaced with part of a 1955 penny lol.

IMG_1037.jpg
IMG_1039.jpg

Based on the posts I've read, I don't know how some of you seem to know so much about some of these old guns. Internet research seems kind of hit and miss on this stuff.

Hopefully someone can tell me a bit about these, I also have a few others I am curious about including a parker hale 22-250, what I think is a springfield m1903,savage 219, cooey 840 and a few others.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Winchester 1912Winchester 1912 Member Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Dustin1706. You have some very desireable rifles. I'm sure the experts can help you on these as you have posted photos that are pretty clear. I especially like that carbine with the half-penny front site. That's pretty cool.[8D] Value of your Winchesters will depend on condition, originality, special features from factory, and year of manufacture. Stay tuned and good luck.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Proofhouse.com says the 1895 was made in late 1900.
    Caliber .30 US is .30-40 Krag.

They date the 1894 to 1914.
    Caliber .30 WCF is of course .30-30.
    It used to be fairly common to use a coin as a sight blade. Some folks think copper is more visible than silver, gold, or ivory as were commonly used in sight blades and beads back then.
    I have read of one guy who will make a sight out of an Indian Head penny or you might think it neat to have one from the year you were born.

Bert H. will likely have better information on years made than published charts.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Dustin,

The Model 1894 SRC (Saddle Ring Carbine) was manufactured in March of 1915. It appears to be a standard SRC in typical used condition, with a modified front sight, and a non-origial rear sight. As such, it is worth about $500.

I do not have the serialization records for the Model 1895, but I can tell you that serial number 19567 was the last "Antique" (pre-1899). I would estimate that your Sporting Rifle was made in 1900. The 30 U.S. caliber is what most people refer to as the 30/40 Krag. Again, this rifle appears to have been used and carried very frequently for much of its life, but it is also completely original. My estimate of its collector value is somewhere close to $1000.
  • dustin1706dustin1706 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses! You guys seem to really know your stuff!
    A few days of net surfing couldn't land me that info I got just here.

I wonder if you might mind taking a look at a few others I have laying around??

This one is a model 94 that actually shoots really well. S/N 3096XXX, so I assume they are very common, but I am surprised at how well it shoots for a fairly short barrel.
    IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg

This one is a Parker Hale 22-250. based on my research it is a 1200v, but that is all I can find out about it..? It has a seriously thick barrel with no taper, and is extremely accurate and shoots very flat for very long distances. Took me a while to even find 22-250 shells though. Is it a dying caliber?
    IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg

Not sure on this ones history, but it looks well used. I think it is a Springfield M1903, but I havent ever taken the casing (stock?) off to look for markings. Also, someone has gone and put a bolt through the barrel, presumably to have this as a display piece? Would it be worth finding a new barrel for this rifle?

IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg

This is a Cooey Model 840 410. As I understand Cooey is a canadian branch of winchester? It shoots very well. My father says he has the forestock for it, but just has to find it. S/N 48048. Can't seem to find any info at all on this one.. The only other cooey I've seen is my cooey model 75 single shot .22 that was my first gun as a kid :)
    IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg

AAAND... Since you guys seem to be winchester experts... My father used to have the winchester bug and every once ina while he'd buy a brand new winchester model 94 special edition rifle. These have all been kept indoors, NEVER fired, and most ofthem still have the tags hanging from them. Any idea if these have any value, or are these kind of a joke?
    IMG_0022.jpg

There are 9 in total (though 2 are identical)
    Apache Carbine 30-30
    Cherokee Carbine 30-30
    Sioux Carbine 30-30
    Little Big Horn Centennial 44-40 (x2)
    Antlered game 30-30
    Oliver F. Winchester 38-55
    Sherriff Bat Masterson 30-30
    Legendary Frontiersman 38-55

I've got a fair few more rifles, but I htink the rest is all fairly standard stuff.

Again, Thanks so much for the info!!!
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .30-30 with serial number in the three millions was made about 1968 and is a very common hunting rifle with no collector interest that I know of.

The Parker Hale 1200 is a British make built on a Mauser action procured on the continent. .22-250 is not a dying caliber but is not real common in retail stores because most people want the cheaper .223.

The military rifle is not a 1903 Springfield, it is probably a US Model 1917 .30-06 or possibly a British Pattern 14 .303 on the same action. It should be marked on the top of the reciever ring, no need to take anything apart. I don't know whether it would be worth the expense to replace the barrel, depends on what condition the rest of the rifle is in. It wouldn't be cheap.

Anybody interested in commemorative rifles will expect them to be unused in the original box with all paperwork.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    "British Pattern 14 .303 on the same action. It should be marked on the top of the reciever ring, no need to take anything apart. I don't know whether it would be worth the expense to replace the barrel, depends on what condition the rest of the rifle is in. It wouldn't be cheap".........THIS IS A PATTERN 14 BRITISH RIFLE 'DEMILLED' FOR 'DRILL PURPOSE' (SHOULD BE STAMPED 'DP' IN SEVERAL PLACES). THE ACTIONS ARE STILL GOOD AND CAN BE REBUILT TO ORIGINAL (IF YOU CAN FIN A BARREL, GOOD LUCK) OR REBUILD FOR A SPORTER. THERE WERE 3 MAKERS, WINCHESTER (MARKED 'W' BY THE SER. NO.) REMINGTON (REM)AND EDDYSTONE A DIVISION OF REMINGTON (ERA).