In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester model 12 serials receiver/mag

pickgrinpickgrin Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello,
I have a Winchester model 12 that has a receiver with a 1947 dated serial number, but the magazine tube has a 1927 date. They don't match. Why do you suppose the difference, and how would that affect its value, if any? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Winchester 1912Winchester 1912 Member Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickgrin
    Hello,
    I have a Winchester model 12 that has a receiver with a 1947 dated serial number, but the magazine tube has a 1927 date. They don't match. Why do you suppose the difference, and how would that affect its value, if any? Thanks in advance!

Hello pickgrin. Since your reciever and barrel and mag assembly are mismatched by serial number, collector value is gone. However, if the gun functions properly then it has some value as a shooter. Value will depend on graded condition. I assume the barrel is stamped "Nickel Steel"?
  • pickgrinpickgrin Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickgrin
    Hello,

Yes, that's correct. Nickel Steel. So, what would be a guestimate for a 90-95% gun as a shooter value?
  • Winchester 1912Winchester 1912 Member Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say in the 400 dollar range maybe a bit more, but with the mismatch, a bit less.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    SOMEONE, SOME WHERE HAS THE EXACT REVERSED DOULBE OF YOUR SHOTGUN[:D]