In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Taurus PT58 & Marlin Mdl 989 .22 M1 Carbine

gabadger85gabadger85 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
This is my first posting so please excuse any procedural errors.

I am trying to determine the realistic value of my Taurus PT58 .380 ACP pistol that I bought sometime around 1990 (or thereabouts). I have two (2) extra magazines as well. The pistol has had about 30 rounds fired through it and, with the exception of being kept clean, it has been kept in a drawer all these years. I would rate its condition as excellent.

I also have a Marlin Model 989 M1-carbine style .22 rifle which, likewise, has not been fired in about 25 years. It has the original 7-shot magazine as well as four (4) 12-shots magazines. It is original in all respects and is topped with a Weaver 3-6 variable power scope. Again, with the exception of being taken out and cleaned, I have kept it in a case. I would rate its condition as at least very good.

I intend to sell these items but I need an idea of what a fair and realistic price would be.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum. And, so far, no procedural errors or transgressions on your part.

It's difficult to evaluate any gun based on a verbal description. Your "very good" might be my "rusted junk", so a couple of high quality photos will eliminate the doubt. My experience has been that the best place to sell most guns is on the Gunbroker auction site, & you really need photos for that. Instructions for posting photos can be found on a "sticky" near the top of the first page of this forum.

For common guns like yours, it might be helpful to check the prices that similar guns actually sold for. Go to the Gunbroker home page & click on the Smart Search link; enter a description, select COMPLETED AUCTIONS, & SORT BY HIGHEST NUMBER OF BIDS. That will let you know exactly what folks are willing to pay for guns like yours.

Neal
  • gabadger85gabadger85 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do just that.

quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Welcome to the forum. And, so far, no procedural errors or transgressions on your part.

It's difficult to evaluate any gun based on a verbal description. Your "very good" might be my "rusted junk", so a couple of high quality photos will eliminate the doubt. My experience has been that the best place to sell most guns is on the Gunbroker auction site, & you really need photos for that. Instructions for posting photos can be found on a "sticky" near the top of the first page of this forum.

For common guns like yours, it might be helpful to check the prices that similar guns actually sold for. Go to the Gunbroker home page & click on the Smart Search link; enter a description, select COMPLETED AUCTIONS, & SORT BY HIGHEST NUMBER OF BIDS. That will let you know exactly what folks are willing to pay for guns like yours.

Neal