In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pressure difference between BLK granulations

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know the pressure difference between FFg and FFFg in 44-40 and 45LC?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the smaller capacity cartridges such as the two you named, 3F would be the granulation normally used. You could use 2F but because of the larger grain size you would get lower velocity. In any case pressure wouldn't be a factor. You couldn't get enough 2 or 3 F in the cases even with a drop tube and compressing the load in a arbor press to have pressure problems.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loosened up a friend's Spanish copy of the S&W 1st model 44 DA Frontier with 3Fg in the '80s.
    The gun was unsafe after no more than one or two cylinderfulls.
    It was in mint condition when I started.
    Saturday night's local auction had an identical Spanish repro but in 45LC. I felt some guilt in recalling loosening up that revolver.
    Loading 40 grains of FFFg into both 44-40 and 45LC folded head brass was
    not that easy but that was before drop tube loading for black powder cartridges was made known.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    I loosened up a friend's Spanish copy of the S&W 1st model 44 DA Frontier with 3Fg in the '80s.
    The gun was unsafe after no more than one or two cylinderfulls.
    It was in mint condition when I started.
    Saturday night's local auction had an identical Spanish repro but in 45LC. I felt some guilt in recalling loosening up that revolver.
    Loading 40 grains of FFFg into both 44-40 and 45LC folded head brass was
    not that easy but that was before drop tube loading for black powder cartridges was made known.

I have a hard time visualizing any large frame cartridge revolver being stretched by just 12 rounds of black powder loads. Knowing those early Spanish revolvers before they started mandatory proofing had a bad rep, I sure can see why now.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't recall noting the frame was stretched.
    The stretch may have been all in the latch or latch screw, being the weakest links in top breaks.