In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Handgun Ammo in a rifle ?

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Some of the 44 magnum ammo as well as others say "handgun ammunition or personal defense round in either , .357 or .44 magnum .. Is there a problem if you want to shoot this in a rifle ?

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi MFI,

No there is not a problem shooting the handgun ammo in a rifle. Howeveer, there were, at one time some ammo that was introduced in handguns that was loaded heavier for use in lever action rifles, around the early 1900's. That was labeled to use in rifles, and the 32-20 was among them, as I believe, but don't quote me, the 38-40, and 44-40. They were labeled to use in rifles as the pressures exceeded the design limits of the venerable Colt SAA.

The pistol ammo today is very safe to use in rifles and carbines chambered for it.

Best
  • ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't see why not, I do with my 45acp and 9mm carbines. When I finally get the desired 357 and 44 leverguns, I'm sure I'll check to see how they feed and hit with the pd loads too.
  • Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Model 92 in 357Mag. I shoot everything from 357 heavy hunting rounds to light 38 Special target rounds and all feed and function great.
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Labeling may have something to do with restrictions in some states on who can purchase 'handgun' ammo. Can't expect a wally world clerk to know what can be bought buy an 18 yr old and what must have a 21 yr old.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot anything marked 357 or 44mag through my Marlin 357 and 44mags. They are stronger than most handguns. Some bullet shapes just feed harder.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MFI
    Some of the 44 magnum ammo as well as others say "handgun ammunition or personal defense round in either , .357 or .44 magnum .. Is there a problem if you want to shoot this in a rifle ?

The biggest problem here is to your wallet! "Personal protection" ammo is premium stuff that usually costs considerably more than ordinary target ammo.

Other than that, no, not really.

Generally rifles are stronger than handguns, so if it will run safely in a handgun it should be safe for a rifle in the same caliber.

As already mentioned, the only thing you'd need to watch out for is to make sure the ammo cycles through your gun correctly. Some guns (not just rifles) are picky about bullet shapes, and won't reliably feed certain kinds of ammo.
  • 44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Handgun loads are increased by about 300fps out or rifle. The only thing I have noticed that most or all carbines will tell you not to shoot lead loads. As the lead buildup will be hard to remove and will fill the riflings. Other than that happy shooting.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    One exception I can think of off hand - the super quiet Colibri 22 ammo from Aguila. With a long rifle barrel, the round may not have enough oomph to get to the end of the barrel...
  • KopperlKopperl Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Colibre for garden pest in An Ithaca #49. Works well.
    Bill
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername
    One exception I can think of off hand - the super quiet Colibri 22 ammo from Aguila. With a long rifle barrel, the round may not have enough oomph to get to the end of the barrel...

Well, this is getting away from the original question (which was about 357 and 44 magnum rounds).

The warnings say not to fire the primer-only ammo through a rifle, but I've tried them from three different .22 rifles (including a Remington, Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22) and so far never had a problem.

You have to load them one at a time by hand from the semi-auto guns (they won't reliably feed through the magazine, even cycling the action by hand) but they worked 100% through the bolt-action.

I like these much better from a rifle, as they still make a little "pop" from a handgun, but from a rifle they are TOTALLY SILENT (as in you only hear the click of the firing pin, like a dry fire).

Of course, I'd make absolutely sure the round did leave your barrel because if you were to fire a normal .22LR afterward with one of these lodged in your barrel, you could have a big problem.