In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

how to ship

mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just aquired a large lot of rifle an shot guns that are all in need of repair. I want to auction them off, would it be better to sell in parts or whole. What is the best method of shipping. Only have sold small parts never whole parts guns before. Wouyld appericate any help
Thanks
Mike

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will do best selling them individually. It's almost always cheaper to ship long guns by USPS Priority Mail (insured).

Read the Gunbroker FOR SELLERS tutorial, which should explain just about everything the new seller needs to know. You will need to get appropriate size shipping cartons; if you can't find a source of free cartons, Uline & Brownells sells them. And, you will need packing materials, maybe bubble wrap, air pillows, peanuts, tape, etc.

Figure selling a gun online takes at least 3-4 hours total per gun. If by a "large lot" you mean > 100, then be sure you have the time. Or, sell them as a single lot, but expect to get 25-50% of what you would get selling them individually.

But, you say they are all in need of repair? What's with that? If they are junkers, maybe you just want to take them to the dump. We need more information.

Neal

EDIT: Well, if you have the time, it may be worth your while to list them here on GB. I have found that there are always guys looking for parts, even when the gun is rusty/abused. The only problem is that you will still have to ship handguns (unless made < 1899) by UPS or Fedex Next Day Air, unless you have a friendly dealer willing to mail them for you. (The gun doesn't have to be complete, it's the frame that sets the requirements.)
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi thank you for the info. the guns i have are all missing parts or are in real bad shape do to rust or neglect. i have close to 40 of them that are rifles an shot guns. an about 30 break top pistols. there is very few that i think could be made to shoot again. some contain alot of good parts an the wood is good on most. thank you again for your help
    mike