In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

first 1911

tido4570tido4570 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I want to buy my first 1911. I have a limited amount I can spend and want to get the most for my dollar just like everybody else. I know that "colts will hold their value" and "kimbers are the best" but this is going to hopefully be the first of many 1911s in my small but growing gun collection. It will primarily be used for target shooting and home defense. It will get tested alot before being used for home defense. I would love to be able to buy something made in America but price is the issue. I would prefer stainless steel because I am not the best at getting my guns cleaned right after shooting, but am not married to this qualification. I am currently looking at the Para GI expert, Legacy Citadel, Taurus and the Springfield mil specs. I really like the looks of the springfield Stainless Loaded model but I don't know if it is worth the extra money because they still aren't made in America. I don't like the low sights of the springfield GI model. I need an idea of cost vs. quality. I am open to other ideas or models also. I am willing to spend up to $800(delivered to me with tax, you get the idea). All replies will be appreciated.
Thanks.

P.s. In regards to hand size I have a Beretta 92fs that I love to shoot. I have held 1911s in gun shops and I think I will like them also. I don't have the ability to rent one in my area so I have to go with how they feel in the store.

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Get either a a Rock Island GI or tactical model and a bunch of ammo and extra mags. Very hard to beat the RIA 1911s for bang for the buck.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Steve,

out of all those you mention, I would go with the Para Ordnance. If you don't have overly large hands, go with the single stack gun. Next to the $2500.00 and up Wilsons, and LesBaer's, they are tops in reliability, accuracy, and price. I think you can get an above entry lever Para in your price range. You might even be able to get into a stainless limited series used for that on the auction side.

Best
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Kimber that is close to your price range:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142191033

An S&W that is just outside:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142135603

Please consider buying a Made in the U.S.A. firearm. It is an industry we can afford to keep.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kahr also makes an entry level 1911--friend of mine picked one up for $437 and it's a nice shooter, made in the USA. It does have smaller sights but for the price you can always have better ones installed later--get some Wilson or Chip McCormick magazines and you are good to go.
  • skychaser53skychaser53 Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tido4570
    I want to buy my first 1911.

You said you want dependability. Go with the 1911 that was used in numerous wars since 1911 until Government decided that a few dollars was worth risking soldiers lives... That would be the company that invented the 1911.
    That would be a "Colt"
    some paras and kimbers work fine. I have seen several para's not feed correctly. A co-worker bought a new Kimber at the store, un-fired and it's rusting !!

Colt's work all the time.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    A Kimber that is close to your price range:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142191033

An S&W that is just outside:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142135603

Please consider buying a Made in the U.S.A. firearm. It is an industry we can afford to keep.

I have owned two Kimbers, and a Caspian

A Kimber Pro Carry SLE

A Kimber Custom Target II like the ad the above has listed, bought it used at a Pawn Shop for $625...it is a fantastic pistol...very accurate, comfortable recoil, and functions flawlessly....plus for little money you can dress it up with nice grips and make it look like an expensive custom 1911...I've put 5000 rds through it with out any hiccups

The Kimber Grand Raptor II is on my wish list...I prefer the Govt Models over the Officer's or Commander models
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For $800 you can get an actual Colt, and it will only appreciate from here.

That's what I would suggest.

pix180711813.jpg?t=1254763580
  • shooteroneshooterone Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To skychaser. Colt did NOT invent the 1911.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own many different 1911's and the one I shoot the most at matches is a Kimber custom Target. I have about 10,000 rounds through it now, and it hasn't choked one time. The only thing changed on it are the grips. I don't like the rubber ones that came on it.
  • craig 25-06craig 25-06 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S & W 108282. Best bang for the buck.