In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

colt 1903 .32 mags

rebel55rebel55 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
My Colt made in 1941 came with a blue mag and no problems ejecting the magazine.
I purchased a 2-tone mag and it "hangs" when you try to pull it out.
Are there different mags for the different versions?

Comments

• machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    If it goes in OK but 'hangs' when you try to pull it out, the nose of the follower may be snagging. Try it with the slide off so you can see if that's what's going on.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

I don't know if Colt made any dimensional changes to the magazine when they introduced the .380 version in 1908. If they did, you might have the incorrect version of magazine (it was not always necessary to develop a different magazine for the .32 and .380, as the semi-rimmed .32 needed about the same clearances as the rimless .380. The Mauser HSc and some others used the same mag for both calibers).
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A temperline magazine is probably at least 70 years old, so it may have suffered some damage during its life that makes it fit tightly in your pistol. Figure out where it is tight and hammer the interference down a bit. Apply some tape to the magazine to protect its finish as you hammer on it.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,905 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by machine gun moran
    If it goes in OK but 'hangs' when you try to pull it out, the nose of the follower may be snagging. Try it with the slide off so you can see if that's what's going on.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

I don't know if Colt made any dimensional changes to the magazine when they introduced the .380 version in 1908. If they did, you might have the incorrect version of magazine (it was not always necessary to develop a different magazine for the .32 and .380, as the semi-rimmed .32 needed about the same clearances as the rimless .380. The Mauser HSc and some others used the same mag for both calibers).

Agree
  • MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the 1908 .380 as well as the 1903 .32. The magazines DO NOT interchange and both are factory stamped mags.
  • rebel55rebel55 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 2-tone mag is clearly marked .32 cal.