In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Smith & Wessen Third Model 32 long

Simple ManSimple Man Member Posts: 3,252
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a Smith & Wessen Third model 32 long. Made between 1917 and 1942. Serial number 269745. It has a 6 inch barrel and round checked hard rubber grips with the S&W mongram. My question is how do you know if it's a pre-war mfg.

Comments

• Simple ManSimple Man Member Posts: 3,252
    edited November -1
    Does this gun take rim fire or center fire bullets?
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made 1917 - 1942?
    A very early one might have been made during the last year of WW I, a very late one might have been made during the first year of WW II.
    So they are nearly all pre-WW II, but none pre-WW I.

Maybe somebody with a collectors' book can pin down the year.
  • Simple ManSimple Man Member Posts: 3,252
    edited November -1
    In the Blue Book of guns it reads " add 50% for pre-war mfg." it also says that the serial numbers run 263,001 to 534,532, so I'm thinking it was an early model.
  • 22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Curlyrai,
    probably made around the end of WWI; maybe 1918. The S&W Standard Catalog, 2nd Edition, doesn't have manufacturing by year but does agree with the totals and period you list. It does note SN 321,000 was made in 1920. Unless it is near 100% condition, or better yet with original box and papers, it won't have a lot of collector interest. I paid $150 for one in 90+% condition a few years ago.