In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger Vaquero value...

Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at a very lightly USED Stainless Vaquero - it's polished and has NO drag lines or powder marks on the cylinder. It's about a 5" barrel. It come with both a .45 Colt and a .45ACP cylinder, and has all the factory paper and box.

It also comes with a well-worn, old, hand tooled western rig, filled with a box of LRN .45 Colt ammo. Beautiful.

They are asking $620.

I looked on the auction side, but there were no Vaqueros listed with more than 1 cylinder.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of this handgun ??

It looks NIB.

I have no knowledge at all about single action revolvers, beyond the fact that everyone should own a single six convertible.

Thank you.

Doug

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Doug,

Is this on older model Vaquero, or the newer one. The older one has a larger Blackhawk frame, while the newer one is smaller, more like the size of the Colt SAA. I would pay more for the larger one, for the fact that you cn load it to loads for the Blackhawk, that are in the 44 Magnum power spectrum...The smaller frame you can't, or shouldn't do that.

I would say $550.00-600.00 for the larger one, and not over $500.00 for the smaller one.

Best
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I don't know.

Maybe I can post the S/N & pix tomorrow.

I think it's a large frame - it's a BIG six-shooter.

Thank you.

Doug
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im sure it is an older model as they havent issued and convertible 45 in the new vaquero as of yet. generally the older model vaqueros sell for around 500 dollars in the shape you describe, add around 50 dollars for the convertible model. so around 550 for the gun, whatever you think or want as far as the holster rig and a box of 45colt costs around 30 bucks or more.

here is one that i think you should look into:
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142095004

i am a cowboy action shooter, a huge ruger fan, and i really prefer the bisley style grip(i have and shoot both grip frames) and straight back hammer as opposed to the original. also this gun has the nice cylinder engraving.
    edited November -1
    The Bisley hurts my arthritic hand badly on recoil.

I'd like to have the guy's cylinder though, if I get the revolver [:D]

Thank you.

Doug
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug thats not a bad deal but a little high--I have the same gun but with the 4 5/8" and it is a joy to shoot and not bad in the accuracy dept. $620 might be just a tad high but depending on the holster and if you like it then go for it. If you do buy it pull the shells from the belt if they are brass as they will tarnish quickly.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    doug,
    it may not have come out of the factory as a convertible. you can send in (to ruger) a blackhawk or vaquero and have another cylinder fitted. it was around $225 a year ago when i had a stainless blackhawk converted to 357/9mm (ruger doesn't offer a 357/9mm convertible in SS directly)
    so, you end up paying more than the list price if you convert a gun after the fact. maybe thats what the one youre looking at is.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its high..I'd offer $575 and see what happens.
  • delsouldelsoul Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a New Model Vaquero .357 with 5inch barrel stainless steel last year for less than that, brand new.

-Mike
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by delsoul
    I bought a New Model Vaquero .357 with 5inch barrel stainless steel last year for less than that, brand new.

-Mike

the "new" vaquero sells for less than an older model, the older models are better built beefier handguns, the "new vaquero was rugers attempt to make a handgun smaller, slimmer, and lighter.

dont belive me pull your cylinder out and put it next to an older vaqueros cylinder.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootuadeal
    quote:Originally posted by delsoul

-Mike

the "new" vaquero sells for less than an older model, the older models are better built beefier handguns, the "new vaquero was rugers attempt to make a handgun smaller, slimmer, and lighter.

dont belive me pull your cylinder out and put it next to an older vaqueros cylinder.

This is one BIG revolver.

Doug