In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Extending a chamber for .357 Max

claysclays Member Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a Puma Mod 92 lever rifle that is chambered for .38 & .357magnum. Would like to have the chamber depth lengthened for .357 maximum shells to fit. I know that the pressure of the .357 is 35000cup & the .357max is 40000cup. I think the rifle is capable of handling the additional pressure. By inserting an empty case into the chamber now, it will eject it. They will not feed into the magazine so it would be a single shot only. Question is how much trouble would it be to ream the chamber?

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not suggest reaming anything. If those 92 copies were capable of handling the maximun, then it would have been chambered for it by now. I think your numbers are off just a tad too. The 357 Max. uses small rifle primers because its pressure is more like 45-50K. That is how the flame cutting occured on the Ruger, and Dan Wesson.

If you wish to have a 357 Maximum in a rifle, grab a TC G2 Contender or Encore, and get yourself a barrel for it. That way you will be safe instead of sorry.

Best
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rate of twist may not be right as well. I have a .357 max barrel for my Tompson Contender & the accuracy falls off quite a bit with .357 mag loads. It is also now very difficult to even find brass much less loaded rounds.
    I had a .357 Puma & when I wanted more I sold it & bought the same model in .454 Casull.