In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.44 colt ammo

Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Can I shoot .44 colt ammo in a 44 magnum revolver. This ammo is from Black Hills Ammo.
1 box does have the head stamp stating .44 S&W Special.?

Thank you

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes.
    MODERN .44 Colt is standard .429" at a case length intermediate between .44 Russian and .44 Special. Black Hills obviously just trimmed back some Specials when they didn't have any brass with correct headstamp.

ANTIQUE .44 Colt is not the same thing and the old guns will not shoot the new ammunition.

quote:What about the new loadings from Ultra-Max for the 44 Colt?

I can't find anything specific, but I expect that the Ultramax is what I called "modern" with a .429" bullet for use in reproductions. I can't imagine much of a market for ammunition for originals, which take a .45 heel type bullet. I guess you could call them up.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Yes.
    MODERN .44 Colt is standard .429" at a case length intermediate between .44 Russian and .44 Special. Black Hills obviously just trimmed back some Specials when they didn't have any brass with correct headstamp.

ANTIQUE .44 Colt is not the same thing and the old guns will not shoot the new ammunition.

Hawk,

What about the new loadings from Ultra-Max for the 44 Colt? They have been around for a couple years. They also have 41 Colt, of which I bought 10 boxes of for my 1897 SAA. It is really good.

Best