In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Firearms Transfers.

KX5OOKX5OO Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Its sad when the "experts" don't know the Law and cannot explain why they do what they do.

Comments

• KX5OOKX5OO Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My suggestion to everyone is to get a hard copy of the regs and have it out with your local ATF guy.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KX5OO
    My suggestion to everyone is to get a hard copy of the regs and have it out with your local ATF guy.
    Your interpretation of the law means nothing, it is how THEY interpret it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Friendly
    quote:Originally posted by KX5OO
    Your interpretation of the law means nothing, it is how THEY interpret it.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My suggestion is that you read the Posting Guidelines for this forum, especially the first line:

"In general we expect everyone to act like adults and to show respect for each other, just as you would if the other parties were guests in your home."

You asked a specific question, & it was answered accurately & in detail by several folks. You may not have liked all the answers you received, & you became rude. There's no need for that; everyone has tried their best to help you.

Neal
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    My suggestion is that you read the Posting Guidelines for this forum, especially the first line:

"In general we expect everyone to act like adults and to show respect for each other, just as you would if the other parties were guests in your home."

You asked a specific question, & it was answered accurately & in detail by several folks. You may not have liked all the answers you received, & you became rude. There's no need for that; everyone has tried their best to help you.

Neal

I didnt get rude until givette popped off with a sarcastic response. And, only a few answered it accurately. Like I said, most answers were different. I spoke to the local ATF branch, I have a name & contact # for anyone who is interested. I am trying to understand why anyone would want EXTRA info thats not required in 27 CFR 478.94 unless its about money. If there is another regulation that I missed please guide me to it. I had a guy mention 27 CFR 478.125 (e) and I read it. But I didn't see anything about simple firearm transfers requiring a copy of the FFL from the Transferor. Does ATF tell you guys that you need to get this extra info? Or, that you will get into trouble for not getting it?
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    So far as I am concerned the information that I provided to you is 100% accurate and fully complies with the regulations: If the transferee and seller are both dealers then the transferee must provide a signed copy of his FFL (hard copy, FAX or e-mail). If the transferee is an FFL but the seller is a non licensee then the transferee need only supply his FFL number and the seller can check BATFE EZ-Check to see if the FFL is valid. No photo ID is required from a non licensee (although it can be requested) and there is nothing in the regulations that prohibits a non licensee from shipping a firearm directly to a dealer, unless state laws (such as New York State for handguns) enter the picture. I've been in the gun business for about 30 years and I think I understand the regs pretty darned well.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    So far as I am concerned the information that I provided to you is 100% accurate and fully complies with the regulations: If the transferee and seller are both dealers then the transferee must provide a signed copy of his FFL (hard copy, FAX or e-mail). If the transferee is an FFL but the seller is a non licensee then the transferee need only supply his FFL number and the seller can check BATFE EZ-Check to see if the FFL is valid. No photo ID is required from a non licensee (although it can be requested) and there is nothing in the regulations that prohibits a non licensee from shipping a firearm directly to a dealer, unless state laws (such as New York State for handguns) enter the picture. I've been in the gun business for about 30 years and I think I understand the regs pretty darned well.
    edited November -1
    Mark,

Please post a link to the regulation that states dealer to dealer requires an FFL from the Transferor. Show me. Like I said, I just want to understand why 50% of the dealers say its a law and the other 50% say its their "policy". And, the ATF agent I spoke with said its NOT required.
  • mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KX500, I am not try to be a smart * but the answer really is because they do and they don't have to have any other reason. Go somewhere else to do business. Let's give it a rest OK?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mcaso
    KX500, I am not try to be a smart * but the answer really is because they do and they don't have to have any other reason. Go somewhere else to do business. Let's give it a rest OK?

No problem, any info is greatly appreciated.

But, what do you mean "they do"? Can you direct me to a regulations which state the info required for a dealer to dealer transaction?? So far, No one has. Can anyone post a link guideing me to the regulations which state the information required for a dealer to dealer transaction? I'm sure any one of you who have been a gun dealer for 20 or 30 years can show me where to look.
  • JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is the FFL holder's livelihood ( That's the law) He's the one that's subject to the BATFE agents audit..Even if the agent misinterprets the "LAW" It's the FFL holder's $$ that the lawyer will take to get him his license to earn a living back...
    The FFL owns the business and the license.. Whatever he wants to do to retain that license is his affair...If his rules, wishes don't agree with yours...Just don't do business with him and find another FFL....
    JMHO..
    JIM......................