In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M70AB2 Yugo AK 47 auctions

ShannonShannon Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I don't know much about ak rifles. Really I know practically nothing. But recently I have developed an interest in getting one of the underfolder Yugo rifles. I have been putting a number of these guns on my watch list. The prices seem to range in the neighborhood of six hundred dollars and up. I have watched the majority on these auctions close with no bids being placed. I was curious, you guys out there familiar with these guns, do you think they are currently overpriced? Why do you think so many auctions are ending without bids?

Thanks for any information.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either nobody has any money for toys now. Or more likely at $<600 their not the original pre ban Yugoslavs AK's, i.e. they were assembled here in the States with some Yugo parts on U.S. made receivers.
  • jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree- people are broke. But they are decent rifles. quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Either nobody has any money for toys now. Or more likely at $<600 their not the original pre ban Yugoslavs AK's, i.e. they were assembled here in the States with some Yugo parts on U.S. made receivers.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have always been more expensive than a Romanian AK. $600 seems a bit much but everything has gone up in price.

Only thing I don't like about the Yugo AK's is the lack of a chrome lined barrel. Not a big deal as long as you take care to clean it after shooting and stay away from the corrosive Yugo ammo or take precautions afterwards.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    Good rifles but they are just parts kits built up on any of several US made receivers. They were selling like hotcakes at $1K a pop last year during the big Obama panic which swept through the country and emptied out dealer shelves of every AR and AK in the country (oohhh the money flowed in like water [:p]). Since absolutely nothing in the way of gun laws has changed since the November elections (good or bad) and everyone spent all if their money during the Obama panic, most folks are now holding on to what little money they have and are not buying much except for ammo and reloading components.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To expand on what Mark Christian said, everyone who could possibly want one of these things has already bought one. Meanwhile the economy isn't getting any better, and there are a lot of people out of work right now.

Not only has the supply of military-style semi-automatics started to catch up to the demand, I think with AKs in particular, the supply is starting to exceed the demand.

For example, one of the retailers is clearing out Romanian AKs for under $400.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a flyer from Centerfire Systems last week with the Yugo M70AB2 for $449 ... just have your FFL order one for you.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't be buying any of the AK's built on the U.S. made receivers unless you knew who put it together, what parts they were using, and if they knew what they were doing. They were selling the receivers and parts to any dofus who walked in the door. For all you know some bubba might have put it together in his garage using a vise grip and a 4 lb. hammer.