In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

best bullet weight for 1/9..help

mastershooter357mastershooter357 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
i got a buschmaster with a one in nine barrel twist...whats best 55 gr or 62 gr.could they both be used ?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mastershooter357,

Unfortunately for the general population, twist rate is determined by bullet length not bullet weight. It's hard to get bullet lengths from the manufacturers and since the two are not directly related because of bullet design, it can be a chore to find the right guidance.

Barrel manufacturers have done a reasonable job in converting weight to length by posting twist rate lists on their websites. There are usually minor variations but for the most part we see agreement. As an example using your situation, Shilen recommends bullets weighing UP TO 70 grains for the 1:9" twist rate. Dan Lilja recommends 68-69 grain weights for the 1:9" twist.

I have always had good luck stabilizing the 69 Match Hollow Points in my barrels with a 1:9" twist rate. Just be aware that every barrel can be unique and twist rates can vary slightly because of manufacturing techniques. Not all barrels have an exact twist, some can be slightly slower while others will measure slightly faster. Use a cleaning rod with a ball bearing handle combined with a brush and a slightly tight patch to measure the twist if you have a question.

Best.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 62's should group a little tighter in the 1-9. It is the happy medium twist rate. They had a 1-7 twist for a while and found out the 69gr. and up bullets were harder to get, then everyone then went to the 1-9 for the 62's.
  • mastershooter357mastershooter357 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mastershooter357
    i got a buschmaster with a one in nine barrel twist...whats best 55 gr or 62 gr.could they both be used ?

Either bullet weight should work from that twist rate barrel. As mentioned the 1:9 is a deliberate compromise twist rate intended to stabilize the most common ammo weights out there.

I think in theory the 62 grainers would tend to be a little more accurate, but in practice, you'd have to test the exact loads from your particular gun to make sure, since there is more to accuracy than just the weight of the bullet.