In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shipping to a C&R FFL licensee

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I sold a firearm that is C&R eligible to a C&R holder, but he wants me to ship the gun to his post office box which is listed on the license as his mailing address...I thought the gun had to be shipped to the premise address listed on the license??

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My license has both my physical address and my PO Box mailing address. I have received firearms at both addresses.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I see it you have a (2) stage problem. (1), Make sure the license is valid. Some folks are all full handy with computers/scanners/printers, etc. It wouldn't be much of a problem for them to knock off some phoney FFL's. Awhile back somebody gave a BATF phone number for verifying 03 FFL's.

(2), You didn't say what type of firearm you were shipping? If the FFL is OK I wouldn't have any problems shipping a long gun to a PO Box. No way would I ship a handgun though. The Feds and PO have specific regs about shipping handguns through the mail, if your not a 01 FFL, you just can't legally do it.
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 970 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a similar issue and we are an ffl going to a C&R with a PO box shipment. I called the Hartford CT BAFT branch who said it would be OK to ship to the box. I kept the person's name for reference on the C&R and in the bound book. I suggest you call the BATF and do the same . The number will likelybe in the blue pages of your phone book
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    a. you can't check his 03 ffl without a phone call to the atf
    b. the 'mailing address' address is the one you should use
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are required by law to ship the gun to the address on the license, and a PO Box is a perfectly acceptable address (and safer for both you and the buyer in most cases). I too have my C&R and Antique firearms sent to my PO Box for the following reasons;

(1) It requires the seller to ship via USPS, which I much prefer over UPS or Fed Ex (or any other shipper for that matter).

(2) I live is a semi-rurual neighborhood that is several miles outside of town... with other homes close by. I do not want a delivery company to simply leave an item on my front porch (and yes, they have done it even though "Adult signature required" was specified). My package is in safe hands at the PO.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the information!
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    You are required by law to ship the gun to the address on the license, and a PO Box is a perfectly acceptable address (and safer for both you and the buyer in most cases). I too have my C&R and Antique firearms sent to my PO Box for the following reasons;

(1) It requires the seller to ship via USPS, which I much prefer over UPS or Fed Ex (or any other shipper for that matter).

(2) I live is a semi-rurual neighborhood that is several miles outside of town... with other homes close by. I do not want a delivery company to simply leave an item on my front porch (and yes, they have done it even though "Adult signature required" was specified). My package is in safe hands at the PO.

There is no legal requirement to ship to an address on the license. You only have to assure that you are shipping to a licensee.

That being said, I would not ship to an address that wasn't on the license unless I personally knew the licensee.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EOD Guy

There is no legal requirement to ship to an address on the license. You only have to assure that you are shipping to a licensee.

That being said, I would not ship to an address that wasn't on the license unless I personally knew the licensee.

I beg to differ... when shipping a C&R firearm to a C&R license, it must be shipped to the address on the license. No ifs ands or buts about it. If the regs have been changed in the past several months, please enlighten all of us where it is so stated (I have not received anything from Atlanta concering my Type 03 C&R license since I renewed it a few years ago).
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1

I beg to differ... when shipping a C&R firearm to a C&R license, it must be shipped to the address on the license. No ifs ands or buts about it. If the regs have been changed in the past several months, please enlighten all of us where it is so stated (I have not received anything from Atlanta concering my Type 03 C&R license since I renewed it a few years ago).

The regs haven't been changed. They never required shipment to an address on the license.

See the link to the March 2006 FFL newsletter for the BATF take on the matter.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/newsletter/0306fflnewsletter.pdf

See the question and answer at the bottom of the left hand column on page 8.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    You can verify a C&R license by calling the ATF licensing center toll-free at 1-866-662-2750

Confirm the address, and you're all set to go! However, if there's a conflict in the addresses, best you do not ship until the buyer agrees to ship to the address listed with ATF. If a problem, tell the buyer to change his address with ATF to the one you are told to ship it to, and will hold off on shipping until ATF makes the change.

I don't know how many, but there definately are bogus licenses out there in computerland. Best, Joe
    edited November -1

The regs haven't been changed. They never required shipment to an address on the license.

See the link to the March 2006 FFL newsletter for the BATF take on the matter.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/newsletter/0306fflnewsletter.pdf

See the question and answer at the bottom of the left hand column on page 8.

The section you pointed out applies to a Type 01 FFL... not a Type 03. Type 03 FFL holders do not have a business address, therefore, all firearms must be shipped to the address on the license. I have been through this many times when I have purchased C&R firearms from Type 01 FFL businesses... they will only ship the gun to the address on my Type 03 license. I suggest that you write to the BATFE for clarification concerning this question(written documentation is the best recourse).