In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Small CCW for wife

FrostDawgFrostDawg Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am not familiar with .32auto, .380 and 9mm. In the small weapons like a Kel-tec, is the recoil comparable? What about real world stopping power? I am leaning toward the .380 Ruger LCP. I'm just not certain about the Kel-tecs. Any opinions?
Or do you think the Taurus slim 9mm would be better?
Any alternate suggestions?

Comments

• Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrostDawg
    I am not familiar with .32auto, .380 and 9mm. In the small weapons like a Kel-tec, is the recoil comparable? What about real world stopping power? I am leaning toward the .380 Ruger LCP. I'm just not certain about the Kel-tecs. Any opinions?
    The lcp has some recoil to it, and very little grip to hang on to. While smaller hands may get more grip, my own opinion is that pocket pistols like this are for more advanced shooters. They have very crude sights and are very unforgiving of unfamiliar shooters.

Best bet for the more novice, imho, is a .38 revolver. Easy to learn on, simple control and well tested.

This is my opinion, and others may vary. Either way you go please, please take her out and practice, practice, proactice. With carrying comes a great responsibility, and training is far more important than the tool you choose for her.
  • APD0864APD0864 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to agree with Mr. Friendly. A 5 shot .38 is a great first CCW weapon. Low power practice ammo is very cheap to obtain, and if you had to, use for self defense. Pick up a DA revolver and pull the trigger. Misfire? Pull the trigger again! If badguy grabs revolver, pull the trigger. Instant branding.
    I have seen one homicide victim who was centerpunched by a .38 wadcutter at approx 75yds. Dropped in his tracks.
    Another attempted suicide with a .380 Silvertip by shooting himself in the chest. Placed the PPKS about 1" left of his right nipple, muzzle pressed between the ribs, and the slug stopped BEFORE it made it to his heart! He was royally pizzed that we made him secure his two Rottweilers before we would come in and render aid!

Just my $0.02
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I think Mr.Friendly's advice is in the right direction. Revolvers are not nearly as problematic from any angle, for the uninitiated. I bought carry pieces for two women, both of whom had no experience with handguns, and both were J-frame Smiths, a model 37 and a model 60. Learning the drill was simple for them compared to what the ins and outs of automatics would have been.

Practice is important, as inaccurate shooting is the same as relying on blanks.

This is also just my own opinion, but I think no attempt at bluffing a violent criminal should ever be made. Survival will more than likely depend on talking in .38ese or .357ian.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Why would you think the LCP is great and the Kel-tec it is a copy of (that has been around for years) is not good? Just wondering.

I agree with a compact .38 revolver too.

EDIT: It was late when I was posting.

I have always said get what feels best to the shooter. If it does not feel good or fit right you will not shoot as often or as well. I think the others have covered the "why" on a small revolver in general.

As for the compact autos the smaller they get the more the recoil goes up and there is less to hold on to. I have a Keltec and it is a good gun for what it is. It is one that can go with me just about anywhere. It is small, light and easy to carry. It is not much fun to shoot for more the a few mags though. It is the gun that I carry when everything else is too big.

For years I carried a Colt Mustang as I had not found a compact auto that I liked. I did not like them because they did not fit me right. I either carried a full size, clothing allowing, or the Mustang. I got the Keltec a couple of years ago and was very happy with it. Carried it all the time. I have since found a compact that I like, the M&P, and it is on my most of the time so the Keltec while handy if I need to slip it in a pocket very seldom gets carried any more.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nwcid has a valid point with the Kel-Tec/Ruger debate. The Ruger design copied the Kel-Tec.

I am of the opining a S&W Model 60 Lady Smith is what the doctor ordered. It is their most up to date rendition of the model 60 which started life as a 38 Spl. They have strengthened it and chambered it in 357 Magnum, of which you can shoot 38's in too. Operator easy, and very effective and concealable. I would say a Ruger SP101 in 327 federal, or 357 Magnum would be equally effective. Stay away from the Taurus name brand if you are using it to protect your life with. Their quality is often decent, but it is frequently bad too.

Best
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for a J Frame Smith. FWIW, forget what I carry. My STEPMOTHER- in her 80's- carries a S&W Ndl 37 Airweight. At at 7 meters, that country girl can tear your butt up. IMHO, the first criteria for a carry weapon is that it will function 100.00000% of the time, second is decent stopping power, third is must weigh less than an anchor for a Jon boat. Mdl 36, 37, 38, or the stainless versions of the same, or the newer ladysmith series. Add a set of Crimson Trace grips, and that is about as good as it gets.
  • roscorosco Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thinking S&W J frame 332 11oz or a 432-431 14oz in 32 magnum.
    DAO or DA/SA.Holds 6 shells.
    Easy to carry,Easy to shoot from a purse or coat pocket.
    Try that with a Auto.
    Hard to get in a Weaver or Iso stance in a Fight.
    38spl J frame pretty stiff for majority of women.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a first gun I go along with the others. A J frame Smith or Taurus 38 gets my vote.
    As far as the Kel-Tec, my everyday carry piece is the 380. I've handled the Ruger copy and the Kel-Tec just feels better to me.
    In any weapon you choose, load it with some good HP ammo, and get some other ball or wadcutters and PRACTICE a bunch.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrostDawg

The "best" gun is the one YOUR WIFE likes the best.

She's the one that has to carry it and deal with recoil, and other issues related to concealed carry.

To answer the question specifically, the 32 has less recoil than the 380, which has less recoil than the 9mm. The stopping power is proportionate to the recoil. More stopping power requires more recoil, with the caveat that shot PLACEMENT is more important than shot CALIBER.

Shot placement is all about skill and confidence with the weapon.

Which means that its better to have a somewhat weaker gun that you are comfortable with and shoot well than a somewhat stronger one that you are less comfortable with.

In terms of the Kel-tec vs the Ruger, the latter is a clone of the former. I've "Pepsi challenged" them (eg shot them side by side), and they're nearly identical. Neither one is particularly powerful, nor easy to handle (grip is teensy, slide is tough to rack), and many have reliability issues. But these have one HUGE thing going for them, in that they are small, light, and carryable in situations where/when other guns are not.

And yes, I also like a revolver for this situation too, but again, that's up to your wife.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    38 spl DA only revolver like S&W 642. Crimson Trace laser sights a worthwhile addition.
  • ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with beantownshootah! It's the choice of your Lady!! My girlfriend and sister each wanted to get a handgun and they tried the revolver vs. auto and both liked the "looks" & "feel" of a .380 acp. Not these latest Micro-Mini's but one choose a FEG/PMC and the other a Sig 232. Just look at all the choices here on GunBroker for a .380!! Don't forget the Makarov too! Both girls can work that slide and know how to break it down for cleaning too! Remember women see the "whole picture" quicker than us guys that have to have all the bits & pieces to come up with a decision. Don't make suggestions, be quiet, listen to them and make sure they get to CHOOSE!![B)]
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    I too agree with the light weight .38spec revolver for your wife, but you need to know that the Kel-Tec P-3AT is an excellent carry pistol. Most of the handgun writers rate the Kel-Tec a little better than the copy Ruger. The .380 round is considered to be the least powerful of CCW calibers, but with the proper ammo the .380 is more than adequate!
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wife carries springfield emp 9mm and loves it