In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

3" .410 ga.

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Not being an avid shotgunner, what would be the effective range for the .410 on cotton tails, grouse etc. You pick the shot size, and load. THX HAWKSHAW

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any time you discuss effective range of a shotgun barrel, it's choke is a factor. With a .410 there would probably at least a 5 to 10 yard difference between improved cylinder and full chokes.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Apprx. 40 yards with 4 shot.
  • HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys---Let's assume a FULL CHOKE.
  • 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would distinctly disagree with a 40 yard shot on rabbits with a 410 ga at 40 yards. The 410 ga is patterned at 25 yards and that is about as long a shot as should be considered as the killing range of most 410 ga i have seen on a rabbit and using #6 shot. Most 410's will not pattern #4 shot worth 2 hoots and i can really see no use for them. If you are a really good shot and can center the pattern you can usually kill rabbits at 30 yards and not much further. (personal opinion) With really good 3/4 ounce handloads of #6 copper shot you can gain another 5 yards.
  • RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Considering that not all chokes are created equal and the fact that shotguns, especially double barrels, can have a pattern above or below the point of aim, I respectfully suggest that you set up a large target at 30 yards, 40 yards and 50 yards to see what type of results you get with your chosen shotgun. I would think cartod would be about right at 40 yards, full choke and decent shells.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Get some cardboard and pattern your 410. You won't kill a rabbit with only a few shot. I agree anything beyong 25 yards is problematic.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rtwing, would have to disagree with the statement won't kill rabbitts with only a few shot, rabbitts are about the easiest animal to kill, at least cottontails, never hunted the jackrabbitts from outwest, now squirrells are a different critter, they will take quite a few more pelletts to kill. still all and all the 25-30 yard average is about right for a 410.
  • gumbydamnitgumbydamnit Member Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load 2's and 4's in my 2 1/2 410 shells and up to 40yds no problem killing rabbits. My grandfather and father always loaded 2's for rabbits in the 12ga ,only takes 1 or 2 pellets to kill a cottontail.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    25 yards with a full choke. Use the target boards to make sure.
  • liljakeliljake Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I regularly hunt rabbits with a .410 (full choke) and consider it to be quite challenging. From my personal experience 30 yards is about the furthest "ethical" shot you should take. You should have no problems comfortably taking rabbits at 25 yards and closer with a good 6 shot, which is what I prefer. Good Luck.