In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR-15 Scope mounts - Yes, I searched

APD0864APD0864 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
and I couldn't find a thread that addressed mounts/rings for flattop AR-15 clones. Several for carry handle models, but none for flattops.

I'm looking to put a 42mm Obj lens scope on my new RR Varmint Special and have no experience with flattops.
Is there a general preference for a certain brand/make of mounts/rings for these or is it a Chevy/Ford/Dodge kind of thing?
Any comments/warnings/suggestions you have for ring heigth(sp?)
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,488 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You get what you pay for just like any thing else. Stick with a quality name and you won't go wrong. You can spend $15.00 or you can spend $200.00. I prefer LaRue their pricy but worth it. Armalite also makes a decent mount. Just stay away from the NC Star and the rest of the Chinese stuff and you will be okay. You also will have to decide whether the scope you put on it. Will this be a permanent mount or do you want one that is quickly detached ??? That will add more money. What type/brand of scope do you plan on using??? If your using a $75.00 scope you are not gonna put a $100.00 set of rings on it. So you have to ask yourself what your willing to spend.
  • APD0864APD0864 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your patience. I should have been more specific with my question...
    I will probably stick with the chosen scope (NIB Weaver K-12) that has been sitting on my shelf for a while since I will be mostly shooting varmints (4 legs) with it.
    I have thought about a QD system, but don't know how much I'll actually need to swap optics/sights.

I have learned to buy quality up front as this saves money and frustration in the long run.

I have looked at so many different mounts and ring combinations on the Web and in catalogs that I had reached saturation (not hard to do when using small brain) and decided to ask for help.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Armilite.. You get what you pay for, and larue is one of, if not the best makers of AR-15 QD scope mounts and rings.

Here is an example of Larues QD scope mount.
    http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=30

I have an Armalite scope mount, and it is good enough.. Also, Badger Ordnance makes high quality AR-15 specific rings..

If all else fails just get a high or extra high set of Burris weaver rings.
    edited November -1
    Thank you. That helps narrow my search.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also prefer the LaRue Tactical stuff. If you have a picatinny gas block, you can put pop up iron sights on it for emergency use, and still have the scope that comes off easy. Other than that I would suggest a Z-ring from the Burris Signature series in Medium height. Any Weaver style ring in Medium or High height will work.

Best
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Armalite and Model 1 make a pretty good one piece mount for under $100.00, comes in either 1" or 30mm ring size.

ARMS and Larue are excellent of course.
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen,

Thanks to all. Now I just have to go shopping! Can't wait to put it all together and see how it shoots!
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just mounted a 44mm objective lens scope on my Rock River AR. I used the RRA scope mount and it mounted fine. I am planning a trip to the range on Friday to zero it in.
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=385
    Regards, MAALOX
    edited November -1
    Thank you sir!