In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CCW Caliber for Wife - Reply

FrostDawgFrostDawg Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hey, thanks to everyone for the great advice. Just so you know, I have an SP101 357 I carry inside the belt. My wife actually has one of the Taurus "ladysmith" looking Model 85s (I think...). She does need more practice but she did qualify for CC permit with my S&W Model 15. IF she takes her time she can stay on a pie plate at 20 feet or so double action all five shots. The problem is she has carpal tunnel in both hands from factory work. It limits even her practice time. I was thinking perhaps something lighter and maybe even DA/SA might be easier on her hands/wrists. I tell everyone I know a .38 revolver is probably the best choice defense weapon for most people in most situations...for all the obvious reasons. It has enough power, pretty simple in comparison to semis, about as safe as they make a handgun and it works. And if it don't you just squeeze the trigger again.

But I would also like something small enough to slip in my pocket and be undetectable for certain situations. I was leaning toward the Ruger because I have owned a few and had heard some mixed reviews of Kel-Tec. Of course Ruger had a recall too. I had been leaning toward a 9mm or a Makarov...thinking the slim Taurus or the Russian imports might work. But they are not as small as a .32 or .380. I have a first generation Millennium .40 DAO that does okay...but it isn't much smaller than my SP101. I would like DA/SA, if possible.

Comments

• SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    take a look at the "new" sig p238. it's a remake of the mustang pocketlite and it's well made and reliable. I can almost carry it in my pants pocket. actually, i can carry it that way, but it prints.
    bu if the mrs has carpal tunnel she may not be able to rack a semi.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A real S&W Ladysmith revolver has a lighter trigger pull than the clones. Even a "regular" S&W revolver with Wolff springs will have a better trigger pull. Combine either with wadcutters, & most folks with hand strength problems find it works well.

Neal
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    running the risk of upsetting the Glock haters....consider having her try shooting a Glock 19, or 26... a consistent 5 lb trigger pull, with out alot of creep...

I own a Taurus 85 UL and it is no smaller than my 2 Glock 19s, and it is wider at the cylinder, plus has a lower capacity. IN fact I bought the 85 for my wife and the trigger pull is so rediculously high, 12 lbs or more that it is no pleasure to shoot.

My 19s are the best CCW pistols I own, and I own quite a few pistols that I like...including 1911s and Commanders....

just a suggestion....
  • ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about the new Ruger .38 Spl. snub? They are lightweight and the engineers have worked out a great trigger pull with newly patented sytem. I carry a Taurus "Total Titanium" 38 Spl. that's got a brake on it. With keeping with the idea of "light" I've loaded 90 grain silvertips that open right up. This snub is my back-up piece and weekend carry most of the time.